Why do rechargeable batteries have to be discharged then recharged like 2 to 4 times before normal use?

I'm being told more often nowadays that when one gets a new portable product with a rechargeable, one should first discharge the battery all the way down to zero, then recharge to max, then repeat for 2 or 4 times. Why do rechargeable batteries have to go through this process?

Favorite Answer

Not true. I have never done this, not do I plan to. And none of the manufacturers recommend this.

Find who has been telling you this and give them a dope slap.

You are actually subtracting from the life of your batteries by doing this.

It is not true unless you got a bad battery pack that some of the cell has reverse its polarity. If it happened,then you need to discharge them completely following a fully charge. Hopefully all the cells will back to normal. But I found if the cells have this reverse behavior,it is allmost reach to its cell life. If you bought it new, you better take it back to change for other one.

NiMH have not got a sizeable "memory effect" (i'm an digital engineer who works appreciably with them). it incredibly is extremely minor. i've got faith you purely have undesirable batteries, or possibly a nasty *digital camera* (it incredibly is attainable). one million,000 recharges isn't very functional, yet you may get hundreds of cycles. remember NiMH has some 30 day self-discharge fee, so in case you depart the digital camera sitting unused (even not put in), you will might desire to charge them returned.