Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

What happens when a server cannot serve legal paper because the person 'is not home"? Is there a deadline?

I was told by the receptionist "There is no court date yet because the server has not been able to serve him." What happens next?

it is to serve exboyfriend - custody papers on our child. My guess, the exbf does not want to answer door since he is scared of the law anyway. But - how many attempts or what happens next?

Favorite Answer

The process server will continue to attempt to serve the papers. Any additional information you can provide about where to locate him will help. Each service attempt has a cost assosciated with it.

There are always deadlines, what it is will depend on the case.

There has to be personal service on the other party. Who is doing the service? Consider a private process server if you don't have one, they usually try a little harder than the police.

ask the server why they cant find the guy, and if you think he isn't trying hard enough, get a new server.