Why didn't god forgive Lucifer after his "terrible mistake" in heaven ?

..... after all one of his teachings is to love the enemy and forgive/forget all misdoings/wrongs.

* 'christian' answers if possible.....

Favorite Answer

In Christianity, the concept of forgiveness is closely tied to the concept of repentance and atonement. Yes, you are forgiven for everything, but first you must sincerely repent, which includes feeling remorse and taking responsibility for your actions, and you must also atone, which includes doing your best to set right whatever mistakes you may have made and any damage you may have caused.

Lucifer, to my knowledge, has never stated that what he did was wrong, nor has he tried to repair the damage he has done, or attempted to take responsibility for his actions in defying God. Since he has not done the things which lead to forgiveness, he has yet to be forgiven for what he has done. According to scripture, the minute anyone admits to wrongdoing, and sincerely feels remorse for his actions, and seeks forgiveness, he will be forgiven, and taken back into the presence of God. Until that day comes, he will continue to be cast from the sight of God. I see no reason why it would not be the same for Lucifer. He has only to repent and atone and he will be forgiven.

From a purely logical standpoint, there must be balance in all things. If God is the ultimate good, then there must be something to balance his force, something which is the ultimate evil. While I consider things like "collateral damage" and "acceptable losses" to be pretty close to the ultimate evil we can know in this world, I think from a theological standpoint that Lucifer will do just as well. And realistically, "collateral damage" or "acceptable losses" and those who condone them can be said to be under the influence of Lucifer and his followers, if one so desires.

So I guess the short answer is that Lucifer, having been so beloved of God, knows the path to redemption. He knows very well what steps he must take to be forgiven for his vanity and disobedience. He just hasn't chosen to take those actions and steps, and until he does, he will not be forgiven.

Source(s): While I am not religious, I was raised religious, and have a good grounding in scripture and all that jazz

Per your lovely e-mail, I'm sharing my response. I'll respond in two different ways.

Christian response: There is a school of thought within Christianity that deals with the concept of eternal damnation. It's thought that perhaps God, in his infinite mercy, will offer Lucifer and all the people in Hell a second chance. Eternity is a very long time, after all.

There is also the thought that the door has always been open for Lucifer...all he has to do is ask forgiveness, and God will offer him a place in heaven.

My response: The idea of an angel who rebels against God is pure nonsense. If God is all seeing and all powerful, then he set this 'game' up so that Lucifer would fall from grace, and he also had foreknowledge that a huge percentage of mankind would suffer in Hell. It's utter nonsense, a fairy tale to scare people into submission.

It's all about the 'scare tactics'. Without some form of divine punishment, the Church would have no control. So...they need a 'bad guy', something to scare people into believing thier God. This is where Satan enters the picture. The interesting thing to me is that it worked so well. In Roman and Greek mythology, the afterlife wasn't so cut and dried. An immoral man would have much the same afterlife as a humble priest. The benefits of belief and sacrifice to the gods were immediate, to be enjoyed in this life, not the next. They lived in a very civilized society (considering the timeframe), but they didn't feel the need to scare thier children with stories of eternal damnation.

Christianity changed the paradime, basing it's religion on the Jewish faith. However, Christianity poured on the guilt, and reaped the benefits of an increased and devoted mass of followers.

Do you see the irony here? All religions promise a heaven of some sort, a perfect afterlife. But...the religions that also promise a lake of burning fire for the unbelievers are the very religions that people are most drawn to. Christianity and Islam are fairly new religions, and yet they have attracted more followers than all the other religions of the world combined. They both share the view that the afterlife will be perfect for the believers and hellish for the dissenters. It's the politics of fear, preying on the uncertainty of death. I don't buy into this. If we had a creator, why would he torture us? What could possibly be the point of hiding his presence? It makes no sense.

Hmm. Your "recruiting consultants" technique has turned up some good answers. If this catches on it's going to change Y!A.

I could answer this from a variety of perspectives, but you've asked for a Christian one.

From that standpoint, isn't the essential problem that Lucifer and his angels cannot be forgiven because they do not accept forgiveness...

If evil acts are not accepted as such how will forgiveness, be it ever so available, ever be sought?

Imagine someone saying "I forgive you" to you when you've done nothing wrong... You don't want forgiveness, you want recognition that you don't need forgiveness, that you were in the right!

C S Lewis and Os Guinness have both written on this.

(The Screwtape Letters and The Gravedigger Files, respectively)

and the theme of "no forgiveness without repentence " is pretty solid and rarely disputed as far as my knowledge, and a quick Google, takes me.

The predsetination and election issues, and God creating or allowing evil in the first place, tangled with the free-will debate, I think is actually peripheral here. And would certainly take up too much space.

Not a Christian, but here goes...

Perhaps God recognised there could be no such thing as totally good or totally evil in this universe. In that Lucifer's actions were totally evil, God had to create a world of eternal punishment where such a totally evil being could exist.

Technically, this could be interpreted beyond forgiveness into a benevolent act. Even though Lucifer had acted against God, He gave him a home in which he could reside peacefully.

You've probably guessed by now that I don't actually believe this at all. Behind this post I have assumed the existence of God as a benevolent and loving being, when in reality, I do not believe God exists, and if He does, He is far from benevolent. However, I have used thought to reason that if it were the case, then this is the most likely way it would be.

((((hugs))))

~Loving Light~

Source(s): Pikan Atheist

This myth appears in the 'Book of Enoch which is an apocryphal (ie, extra, not-official-doctrine book related to Christian scriptures. I am not sure whether it is an official scripture within Judaism, where it originated. It is myth and lore about angels. Angels lore and mythology crept into Judaism through Babylonian and Chaldean influence (certain tribes of Hebrews spent time in exile in Babylon). The story of the fall of Lucifer had taken on new meaning in Christianity and is used to describe dualism--the existence of good and evil and a good god and a nemesis. Like the Garden of Eden story, it explains in myth why there is good and evil in the world and it also assures folks that good will win out over evil.

The myth may also be 1) a Jewish version of myths related to the morning star, which was called Lucifer and referred to the the goddess Venus and the son of the sun-god Helios, who was named Phaeton. The morning star was beautiful but it was considered to be ousted fronm the night sky because of some transgression. (Indeed because Venus was haughty). 2) the myth might relate to the overthrow of King Nebuchadnezzar .

What I find particularly interesting about the myth of the fall of Lucifer is that in one version, the problem starts because Lucifer takes offense to the idea that the angels must serve man. Rather, Lucifer insists that only God should be served. A civil war starts in Heaven and the losers are cast out. The message in this myth that I see that I have never heard another address is that allegiance to an airy ideal while snubbing others is demonic and that one serves God by serving and seeing God in one's fellow man.

• rp

i don't know the word for word church teaching on this one.. so I will just go with my heart.

I think that to forgive you have to ask to be forgiven. Lucifer's greatest mistake of all was pride. He thought he was the most wonderful, the most powerful. It never occurred to him that he was wrong. It never occurred to him that he needed to forgive himself and ask God's forgiveness.

God can't forgive someone if they are not truly repentent. Lucifer has too much pride. It is a catch 22.

• Kallan

No such animal as "Lucifer".. the name occurs once in the "Old Testament" (not in the TaNAKh at all) in Isaiah 14.. lucifer is a latin name.. the proper hebrew word is Hillel, who was a babylonian king, and not a "fallen angel" of any sort.

The jewish people don't have any fallen angels in their belief system at all. Ha Satan (the challenger) is in their god's employ so there is nothing to forgive.

This is significant, as christians claim to take their beliefs from the jews in that regard.

Well, as a serious answer I'd say that it would be theologically thorny for God to forgive Satan as it provides a parallel to the concept of damnation in general. Satan also provides a proverbial "bad cop" and an explanation for the evil things in life, as well as a convenient label to apply to other religions.

As my instinctual answer, I'd say that God is not a Rolling Stones fan and does not have Sympathy for the Devil...

Probably because there isn't a single mention in the OT saying that he betrayed God in any way. According to the OT (refer to job) he is an angel of God under God's control.

The only reference is the fall of Lucifer and that isn't Satan (Thank you Dante) that is a Babylonian Prince.

And for everyone who is going to tell me its an allegory, you can't have it both ways. Either the Bible is allegory or it's literally God's word. Make up your mind.

maybe because they both need to keep the balance of good and bad

god is good/devil is bad

it keeps things in an order of sorts

after all the universe does rely on and is based on balance

maybe he never really "learned his lesson" and so continues to stay where he is because of this

maybe hes unwilling to learn this lesson, or unwilling to acknowledge or appologise for his wrong, and maybe thats what it woudl take

or, maybe god is just a tad more bias, mean and unforgiving and vengeful, more than many religions and religious people are willing to admit to his being

or , maybe hes just this way with lucifer, although from all i know about hell, his need for us to obey and acknowledge him, and his idea of a deserved punishment if we dont, i dont think it is just reserved for lucifer

this possibility does seem to be a more realistic probability to me personally, but i admit to being 'biased' as a non believer

;-D