Selective Service System and Homosexuals?

OK. Like any other guy, I had to register with the selective service system. ALL males between the ages of 18 and 25 MUST register or they can be fined or jailed.

For those who do not know what the selective service is, it is a system where incase of serious national emergency, every man who registered with the selective service will be drafted into the military to produce an exponential number of soliers.

My question, is, because of the "Don't ask, Don't Tell" policy of the military, which does not allow open homosexuals to serve in the military, if I get drafted, can I just say, "I'm gay", and then I don't have to serve?

How exactly does that work?

• Seth
    Favorite Answer

Basically, I believe yes. Although, in desperate times, they may not even let you "tell."

I think in the event of a massive draft or something its high time we unite and fight for our rights. **** this don't ask don't tell bullshit! Its our ****** military too and I would fight for my rights even if I were drafted. I'm out of the closet and will never ever be going back!

• Jnr528

technically...yeah, it should work, but if it were a true emergency, i'm sure the armed services would have no problems overlooking someone being gay. if there were a war and a desperate need for soldiers, i bet someone being a homosexual wouldn't matter. on the other hand, after you served, or after the threat, it would probably regress and you'd be discharged for being gay.