<3 asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

I'm scared for my dog

Please read all of this, I'm really worried about my dog! Today, my dog hasn't eaten any food except a couple treats. Normally, she eats her 1st meal in the morning, but she hasn't taken but maybe 1 bite of it (it's dry food). My dad thinks that she's just tired of it. Today, I took her out at about 11:45 and she had really watery diarrhea. It wasn't her normal color though, it was more brown with maybe a little rust color. Normally it's like a weird greenish yellowish brownish color for some reason. My dad said the diarrhea is just because she hasn't been eating so I asked him how long she hasn't eaten for and he said just this past day. We're going to feed her some rice now. My dad thinks that just since she will eat a treat, that she's fine. I don't think shes fine though. He always has some excuse as to why she is okay. She's about 8 years old, a medium/large dog and we think she had Cushing's Disease, but we aren't totally sure, but she has a lot of the symptoms. She seems weak in her hind legs a lot. She has trouble going up stairs and it seems like it's hard for her to squat to pee and poo. She always takes really long to pee but I don't think she's straining, she just has a lot of pee because she drinks so much water. It seems like lately she had trouble going poo because she'll walk around while trying to poo and it takes a while for it all to come out. Today, when she was having the diarrhea, it seemed like it had all come out but she was still trying to go. Please help, I don't know what to do! My dad doesn't want to take her to the vet because we are kind of having some financial trouble right now and he thinks that theyre going to make him pay a lot of money, which he can't do right now. Help!

Favorite Answer

Do you have a Humane Society where you live? They have a program that will help pay for low income people.AAHA HELPING PETS FUND

866/4HELPETS (866/443-5738)

Based in Denver, Colorado, the AAHA Helping Pets Fund provides financial assistance when people cannot afford veterinary care for their pets.

I think your dog is sick. But I also think feeding her rice (you can also use oatmeal) is a good idea. She may just be alergic to the food you are feeding her. It's good she's drinking if she stops doing that then you really must take her to a vet. So watch her for a day or two. If the rice is staying down and the diarrhea stops or slows then I would change her food. If she gets sicker or there's no change then unfortunetly you need to take her to your vet. A lot of vets will let you pay on a monthly basis. You could always phone and explain your situation and see what they say. I don't think any vet would turn you away.

Good Luck i hope she gets better soon. Jan

Do you live in the UK? Even if not - there is always an animal charity who will take a look for a minimum payment (sometimes free) and no vet will do anything without your consent - you could ask for a consultation - she has to go to a vet if this continues but I would give her until tomorrow if she's not in any distress - this could be anything from her eating something that's got stuck (sticks - stones - you know what dogs are like!), it could be a germ she's picked up. Let her have as much water as she needs - you can last a lot longer without food than water and see if she'll keep taking snacks.

If our dogs were a bit runny - we would put them on 24 hours rice or plain pasta - then take them to the vets if it hadn't cleared up.

i would at least call the vet, tell them what is happening and ask if there is a financial help plan for you, small payments a month possibly, i can understand where your dad would be upset, but im studying to be a vet and that doesnt sound like something you can ignore. the vets are there to help your animal, and they understand that some owners cant afford to help their pet, but they dont want the owner to ignore the problem because of lack of money, they will do what they can to help you with your dog, and with the money problem. i hope this helps.

good u realize the dilemma...and u must realize what to do..however undoubtedly yer mom and dad at a few factor come what may ingrained in you that puppies are unhealthy or frightening a puppy makes use of its senses above some thing else if it notices you being apprehensive it's going to experience it and deal with you as a danger dogs dont use those senses like that but..uncover a dog and play with it untill you may have the arrogance u have got to stroll as much as a giant puppy with out being apprehensive if u do get apprehensive don't run ..however stroll away or you'll cause the puppy MOST homeowners have there puppies educated good but when the puppy is growling or the tail isn't wagging don't pass close it

Um... Your dog could be very sick or not even hardly sick at all if you have given it choc. or table food then that could have done that It sounds like Intestinal Parasites and just to make sure take the dog to the Vet even though you may not have money your pet's life is in stake so..your decision is from now and on good luck hope your dog feels better -Valerie

you should be afraid for your dog! It isn't right to make the dog suffer! As a pet owner it is your responsibility to take you pet to the Dr when needed. If you can't afford to do that, then you shouldn't own a pet! I'm sure your Dad would find the money if YOU needed to go to the Dr and he should find it to take the dog to the vet too!

you dog really needs a vet, diarrhea is always a sign of your doggy being poorly and also not eating. if shes having probs in her legs too she needs a vet.

best take her today or lastest tomorrow see how she picks up, if shes still the same you have no choice but to take her to the vet.

the best thing to do is see a vet and see what they say and treament and cost.

i wish you all best of luck hope your sweet doggy has a speedy recovery :)

My dog did the same exact thing. She is about 10 or so and she has cancer all in her stomach and a tumor somewhere in her stomach to. It has made her very sick. I really think you should call your vet and just tell him/her what is happening with your dog because something might be very wrong or she could just be a little sick.

Just call the Vet and ask for their opinion. They won't charge for that. Tell them about your dogs symptoms.