Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Flaws with the bible concerning sexist roles regarding woman

One thing I find strange with the bible is that the main characters are always men, it's only been in recent years that women have been taken seriuosly with womens rights and their role in the world. Most if not all of the bible is written by men, God is percieved as a man, God created man (Adam) then woman, Jesus was a man, Noah was a man, Moses was a man, the twelve apostles were all men, in fact apart from Mary who gave birth to Jesus was there any other woman in the bible who actually played an important role. Why did God send a son instead of daughter to preach his work, would a woman not have been taken seriously enough to the people, not that it would matter as being the spouse of the heavenly father wasn't meant to be an easy job in fact the harder the better it seems.

Being an atheist I beleive these stories were created by men to apply to men with woman having lesser roles in the world wouldn't have been taken seriously if the sex tables were turned. If God was a woman who created woman who then gave birth to man this idea would have been laughed at. If a woman claimed to be the daughter of God she probably would have been stoned to death. If the bible had been wrote mainly by women nobody would buy into any of it especially if the main characters were all woman. It was a mans world, men dominated woman back then and still did untill the mid-20th century, so logically everything in the bible had to evolve around men to make these tales believable to the general public. If you christians disagree then why did women have such a small role in the bible compared to men and why did God mainly pass his work on to be done mostly by men?

@Apostle, because this is yahoo answers and I come here to seek answers, I'm interested in peoples opinion despite them being religious or not, is that so wrong?

Favorite Answer

You are really confused because a man did claim to be the Son of God and He was crucified, which is worse than being stoned to death.

You have apparently never read the Bible yourself or you would know about Deborah who was a Judge and Ruth the girl from Moab who became the great-grandmother of King David.

You also have not read about Rahab the Harlott.

Source(s): 40+ years of following a Jewish Carpenter and studying His Book

First off, there's no flaws in the bible. The only flaw is your interpretation of it.

Second if man didn't teach you that men and women should be equal in everything they do, you wouldn't be talking about this.

God meant for men to be the rulers and women to stand back and support them. The only reason that woman is here is as a companion for man as a means of support to lift him up so that he is able to carry out his duties as a man. So he wrote the bible accordingly.

He made the world not man. You can't say "I don't like the way he did this or that", it doesn't matter what you think.

You said you're an Atheist, right? So when you read the bible you read it with that Atheist mind set instead of with an open mind. If you delve into something new with a closed mind you will come out with nothing, just as you have.

Ask yourself this, if God were a woman and all major people in the bible were women would you care as much? Probably not.

So to answer your question God gave man a bigger role than he did woman because that's the way he wanted it. That's just like when you're a kid and your parent allow you to do certain things that your brother or sister isn't allowed to do. Its because they know you better than you know yourself and they know what one is more suited to do than the other.

To me this questioned should have ended when you read the beginning of Genesis when God took just a rib of the man to make woman that was symbolic.

My interpretation. Read the bible it has all the answers you need.

The only flaws with the Bible are the ones put there by people who find something in it that they don't like. Your question for example. You many feel that the Bible is flawed in regards to women but in all reality, it doesn't matter whether you, me or anyone else likes what it says. Yahweh has the matters of life set up the way He wanted them set up. He says what He means and means what He says. I'll give you a few verses explaining why God has the man in the dominate role in the church setting.

1Timothy 2:12-15 "But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. 13 For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. 14 And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. 15 But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.

Now you know why men have a dominate role in the church and the home. With that being said, here are a few prominent women of Scripture to show you that women aren't quite as trivial as you have pictured them.

First of all we look in the book of Judges and we want to see why some women rise head and shoulder above many other men and women. (Deborah) found in Judges 4:1 and on. (Ruth) found in the Book of Ruth. (Abigail) found in the book of 1 Samuel chapter 25. (Esther) found in the Book of Esther. (Mary) as you already mentioned. (Elizabeth) mother of John the Baptist. There are several other very notable women in the Bible. Esther and Ruth both have entire books written about them so you see, women do have a promenent role in Scripture even though they cannot be in authority over men in the church. As a man, I have always held women in high esteem and with respect.

I completely agree with, i really do!

U r right about the bible as well as the christianity being male chauvinist!

And then they make Islam the subject of male chauvinism by taking out the issue for purdah .......the truth is that there is in reality no religion more sexiest then christianity

If Islam is male chauvinist then why the two thirds of the people embracing Islam every year are Women???????

And did u see their anwers??? instead of defending the bible against being sexist they are claiming it openly that men are superior to women!!!!!

Indeed the christians are the most uncivilized ones

And ma'am i do believe that u have got a point to raise!

And then if u look in the Quran Adam and Eve are equally condemned for eating the fruit whereas in bible Eve is referred to as the 'aid' of the satan!

And then u look in the quran at the verses saying that do not consider the women as u'r slaves

And u will find in Quran Surah Al Nisa (the chapter of the women) where will u find in bible that chapter which speaks about the rights of the women

And then u will in thew Quran find Surah al Maryam(the chapter of the Mary) and where in the bible will u find the chapter Mary?????????And then to which religion was Mary more important to ????

The Islam or the christianity??? Then what does it show u about Islam????

Did u ever think of it???

Then why/ why do they not read the Quran and only the Bible??? why do they not read the both and compare the authenticity and wisdom of both????????????

I believe this is still a man’s world (no offense ladies, just looking at the evidence.) We have always had a man as president. Most government officials are men as well as police, fire and military personnel. God as a father figure is a symbol of power and protects, defends and provides for the family. I have absolutely no problem with women doing a man’s job for equal pay and respect, it’s just that men still seem to be in control. Whether that’s a good thing or not, that’s another topic!

• You're mistaken. There are many instances in which women play important roles. Between Leah, Jacob, and Rachel, who do you think wore the pants? I'll give you a hint: It wasn't Jacob!

And let's not forget Rebekah, Isaac's wife, who was this amazing godly woman.

Not to mention Deborah, who was a prophetess, judge, and leader of Israel.

Then we've got Esther, who was so important she even had a book named after her, lol, and Ruth.

Then in the New Testament, we not only have Mary, but Anna the prophetess, Phoebe (deacon of the church in Cenchrea), Tryphena, Tryphosa, Junias, Mary Magdalene, Salome...the list goes on and on.

The problem isn't that there aren't women who are important in the Bible; the problem is that sexist men don't like talking about them.

Dear Friend,

You are only believing what "you" want to believe about the Bible. Yes, God did create Adam...first. Thank you Lord. I'm glad He did and I'll explain later. It was EVE who first fell into the clutches of sin. She was deceived. Talked into doing what she "knew" was wrong. Her eyes beheld the beauty of the fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. She could have said, "NO!" It is no surprise to me that women love to SHOP! They SEE it, reach out to grab it (like the forbidden fruit) and buy it...whether they need it or not. They want ...more! They think "things" will fill that void and they will have contentment, when it is only...temporary. God designed man/woman with an "emptiness" that only He can fill. Mankind tries to fill that void by trying to put a square peg into a round hole (designed for Christ to fill).

The Bible may not be "filled" with a lot of women stories, but when you read Judges, Deborah was a Judge and she also went to battle. She was a powerful warrior. In the Book of Esther, Queen Esther saved her people by going before her King (which was NOT done in those days) not to mention the King didn't know that his wife was a Jew. The King loved her so much that he honored her request.

It was "always" women who were deceiving men and manipulating them to get their own way. (Not any different today). And, it was foreign women and their gods (idols) that destroyed the wisest and richest King that ever lived...King Solomon.

Then there is the Book of Ruth...please read. What you don't perhaps understand is that "everyone" in the Old Testament played an important role in setting the stage for the coming of Jesus, in order for us to have the New Testament. They are woven together. You can't have one, without the other.

There were women in the Bible my friend, who made a huge impact on Christianity, which is not a relgion by the way, but a real personal relationship with the Living God, Jesus Christ. What an honor and privledge. And to tell you the truth, as long as MY NAME...is written in the Lamb's Book of...LIFE, I don't care if I were a donkey, I'm on my way to glory and out ...of this 'godless' world, which "will" perish one day. Amen.

A lot of responsibility is on the man's shoulders. He is the one who will be held more accountable for his decisions, than the wife's. Why? Because God created him...first. He is supposed to make the "final" decisions and when He is ...wrong, He has to answer to God, and THAT relieves the wife. That does not mean that men are better than women. No! They are equal, but with different responsibilities. Unfortunately today, women want "to do it all." They wear too many hats that they were never designed to wear. Yes, they can wear them all, but...they are only going to wear themselves out and become totally...discontent.

By the way, it was the men who RAN when Jesus was captured to be tried. And on the day Jesus was cruicifed there were NO MEN (followers of Christ) around, just the women. The men ran and hid because they were afraid they would be killed too. Only the women were BOLD enough to take a stand for their position in believing Jesus was the Messiah.

I prefer having a small role in life with my Lord, and to GAIN eternity with the One who loved me so much, that He died a horrific death in order to have a quality filled abundant life with Him ...for ETERNITY! Amen.

You know, what you and I preceive to be "minor" roles for women, in the eyes of an infinite and Holy God...is totally different. His ways are not our ways.

Bottom line, both men and women have their own measure of good and evil. Hmmm, sounds like they NEED a Redeemer after all. Jesus Christ!

Source(s): God's Word is His "Instruction Manual" for us to live an abundant life. It is also His "Love Letter" to us, because we can personalize it.

This is still more evidence that the bible is not the source of finding God.. A full third of the bible was eliminated and the rest twisted to reflect a masculine image...The true God is without gender and He/She tells us the Bible is not an authority, in the Conversations with God books by Neale Donald Walsch. .At the moment we call death, Atheists and christians alike will know the truth of God.. You do not have to wait...Read the book or remain ignorant of the real God... Get a copy at your library or major book store..God bless

• Ladydi

I believe it's because Eve was made from Adam, for Adam. Men are physically and emotionally stronger then women also. In the Bible, God states the roles for men/women. It evens out between men/women and our roles in life.

Deborah was 4th out of 15 judges of the anceint hebrews when they first came into the land of isreal those judges were technically the kings