How long does it take for a minor metatarsal fracture to heal?

I fractured my fifth metatarsel three days ago. The doctor in the ER told me that it is a very small, very minor fracture. When I asked what I'm looking at for recovery time, he was resistent to give me an answer and recommended I follow up with a podiatrist. Being that my injury is very slight, I would rather save the money and let it heal up on it's own. I am currently on crutches and in a post-op bootie, and am wondering how long I need to keep off this injury before I can return to my dancing?

Favorite Answer

The doctor in the ER was hesitant to answer because he doesn't know you and your ability to heal. Healing time all depends on your general health and how long it takes your body to heal. Each person has a different time.

Generally I'd say about 3 weeks, but measure how you feel when walking without the boot. I think you should consult a Podiatrist, although you probably won't get a straight answer from him/her either.

That bone is very little and cracks easily, I had the same fracture myself. This was a while ago, but I remember using the boot for about three weeks.Even now, over 10 years later I feel stiffness and some minor aches and pains in that foot. This can be a source of arthritis when you get older.

You dropped stuff on your foot two times and nevertheless do not pick to pass to the health center. Why do not you spot your familiar physician? Your bones may favor reset in the journey that they are damaged and also you may want to heal incorrect and always have discomfort in case you do not get it treated.

everyone heals differently. as long as you leave it a lone for a week or to as ease on the idea of walking it should only take a week or two.