Why is it offensive to call a Christian delusional but it's ok to call an Atheist plain wrong?

Are they not the same thing? If it's not reality, it's delusion.

enlightenment:

delusion: a beleif that is unsupported by facts

wrong: deviating from truth or fact

Bingo!

Favorite Answer

Point of view.

Christians are more easily hurt because they are use to having it their way. When atheists want to have a real discussion, the creationists want go crying home.

Being wrong and being delusional are not the same thing.

It's as offensive to call an atheist delusional as it is a Christian, assuming neither are.

Delusion: (DSM, va wikipedia) A false belief based on incorrect inference about external reality that is firmly sustained despite what almost everybody else believes and despite what constitutes incontrovertible and obvious proof or evidence to the contrary. The belief is not one ordinarily accepted by other members of the person's culture or subculture (e.g., it is not an article of religious faith).

• No, I don't think that they're the same. Delusions can appear very real and concrete to the person experiencing them. Delusions are also a symptom for brain disorders. A person having a delusion can describe the delusion accurately, so a person may be having a delusion and also be "right".

Source(s): pagan

When you call anyone delusional it's offensive. You're making an assumption about the person's character in addition to their personal beliefs.

When you call someone wrong, you're simply saying that their statement is wrong. You're not making a personal remark on their character.

That is why it's offensive to call ANYONE, regardless of gender, race or religion, that they're delusional. It's an insult to the person to call them delusional, where the insult should be placed on the statement itself - whether it's right / wrong.

i am neither athiest nor christian but i would have thought it is because, to call a christian delusional you are insulting their religious beliefs where as to say an athiest is wrong you are not actually insulting their religion. An athiest supposedly shouldn't care that they are being called wrong (because they have no thought on religion) atleast not as much as a christian who is being told that everything they believe is a lie.

I am not trying to back up either, but one is religion and one is not. I hope this makes sense to you. I really don't see they there has to be a mini war between athiests and christians, you each have your own beliefs and are entitled to your own views without being called names by the other.

Please don't give me loads of thumbs down i'm just stating my opinion and do not mean to offend anyone. (:

Loaded question !!! Christians have a positive faith and athiests have a negative faith !!!

Jesus claimed to be God - John 8:24; 8:56-59 (see Exodus 3:14); John 10:30-33

Jesus is called God - John 1:1,14; 20:28; Col. 2:9; Titus 2:13; Heb. 1:8

Jesus is the image of the invisible God - Heb. 1:3

Jesus abides forever - Heb. 7:24

Jesus created all things - John 1:1-3; Col. 1:15-17

Jesus is before all things - John 1:1-3; Col. 1:17;

Jesus is eternal - John 1:1,14; 8:58; Micah 5:1-2

Jesus is honored the same as the Father - John 5:23

Jesus is prayed to - Acts 7:55-60; 1 Cor. 1:2 with Psalm 116:41; (John 14:14)

Jesus is worshipped - Matt. 2:2,11; 14:33; John 9:35-38; Heb. 1:6

Jesus is omnipresent - Matt. 18:20; 28:20

Jesus is with us always - Matt. 28:20

Jesus is our only mediator between God and ourselves - 1 Tim. 2:5

Jesus is the guarantee of a better covenant - Heb. 7:22; 8:6

Jesus said, "I AM the Bread of Life" - John 6:35,41,48,51

Jesus said, "I AM the Door" - John 10:7,9

Jesus said, "I AM the Good Shepherd" - John 10:11,14

Jesus said, "I AM the Way the Truth and The Life" - John 14:6

Jesus said, "I AM the Light of the world" - John 8:12; 9:5; 12:46; Luke 2:32

Jesus said, "I AM the True Vine" - John 15:1,5

Jesus said, "I AM the Resurrection and the Life" - John 11:25

Jesus said, "I AM the First and the Last" - Rev. 1:17; 2:8; 22:13

Jesus always lives to make intercession for us - Heb. 7:25

Jesus cleanses from sin - 1 John 1:9

Jesus cleanses us from our sins by His blood - Rev. 1:5; Rom. 5:9

Jesus forgives sins - Matt. 9:1-7; Luke 5:20; 7:48

Jesus saves forever - Matt. 18:11; John 10:28; Heb. 7:25

Because they are Christian and always right and moral and good.

I'm not saying all Christians are like that, just like not all atheists are kind and respectful.

There are bad people on both sides...as I've said many times, discussion is fine but when anger gets involved it's time to talk about something more light-hearted. No reason in fighting over something that each party believes in so whole-heartedly.

Firstly, it isn't offensive to call me plain wrong - you are entitled to think that if you want to.

Secondly, no, if you're delusional you are by definition wrong but to be wrong is not necessarily to be delusional. It's possible to be wrong for another reason e.g. we haven't seen any evidence for God, therefore we don't believe in one. We may be wrong but we're not deluded.

They're not the same thing, but christianity as a religion as a superiority complex to other religions. They just think theirs is just better so they feel justified to try to convert people.

Christians are delusional! Atheists are just plain right!

So report me!