What direction does your front door face?

Since I'm on the road a lot, it's hard to tell with me. But, if I have my druthers, I would have my front door facing the south as most places I've resided over any length of time has nasty north winds I'd rather not deal with. This seems to make it easier to shovel the front walkway. What's your opinion on this?

Favorite Answer

My front door faces SSW. I know it is exactly 240 degrees because I use it as a reference point when I am star gazing. I don't know why it was built at exactly that angle though. It seems to be a good angle because the house gets a lot of light on the east side in the morning.

The east.

My dad told me when he and my mom were looking for a new home back in the 1950s to always by a home that the front door faced the south. What did he do? Bought a house where the front door faced the north. lol For years he would put newspaper in the front door to keep the cold air out. The outer door was an aluminum storm door, but not energy efficient. Then in the 1970s he got a new energy efficient storm door. Guess what, he still puts the folded newspaper in the edges of the inside door. He won't open the front door in the winter, so everyone has to come to the back door. Odd ways for sure.

South

My front door faces West, so I get the late afternoon sun , but I keep my blinds & thermal drapes closed until the sun goes down. No more snow shoveling for this former Ohio gal. I hated those brutal, depressing winters, & moving south was the smartest thing I could have done. I gave my snow shovel away. How sweet a feeling that was. No snow here & I love it!!!!

• oldman

This may sound a bit confusing. My home faces north with a door that faces east off my living room, onto a veranda that faces north. My front door faces south onto a covered entryway that faces west.

South since my house faces south. I live in the north and prefer a home facing south to get heat from the winter sun.

South.

Well I only have one door and it faces the West.

My parents house is by my house and their front door in on the North side of the house, but it faces to the West as well.

My front door faces south - but being in the South I would rather it face North...

North.