Is it good idea to travel, using credit card?

i am from north-america and planning to travel to asia soon.

Is it good idea to use credit card for all the expense including airfare and accomodation and others? Why and why not? Do you think I have any other choice rather than using my savings?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

american express travelers checks

• Amy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

It is just a personal decision on whether you want to have that debt or not on a card. You could always use a card that has some rewards to it and then pay it off with your savings. That way, you could get some free airline miles or whatever. BUT if you are going to carry a credit card around there to use for food, drink, soveniers, etc., I would recommend using one that you prepay onto. That way, if it is stolen, all you are out is the money you loaded on there. If it is stolen there, by the time you get all your #'s to call and cancel and report it stolen, they could rack up thousands of dollars. Have a good trip!

• 1 decade ago

Pros: You don't need to carry cash.

Cons: They can freeze you card because you are out of the country. They do this as a precautionary measure to ensure that you r card isn't stolen.

My suggestion is to use your credit card to make all the purchases you can here in North America. Then use a combination of the card and some cash in asia.

• 1 decade ago

You may want to call your credit card company and make sure they will not be charging you international fees for using it abraod. Those can add really quickly.

Also, just from a basic money savings perspective, you should always use your cash over credit cards. By putting it on the card, you will spend, spend, spend and once the trip is over (and probably years later) you will have to pay, pay, pay the debt. Use your savings and be done with it!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

while you're eligible for a mastercard, and you promise your self you will pay the entire volume each and each month (and not basically the minimum), then i think of having the mastercard could be a stable theory. it will be extra straightforward to purchase issues in another country while you're vacationing, and you will not would desire to hold as lots money. as far as plane tickets... those fees bypass up and down frequently. save your eye on the fares, and snag a value tag once you think of you're getting a stable deal. and don't examine later to work out no count number in case you have been staggering, as quickly as you have bought it :) do not ignore websites like travelocity or expedia, that practice you fares from many distributors by surprise. Bon voyage!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yup,it's a popular and great idea. It's much more secure than carrying around cash as long as you don't lose sight of your card.

There's always travellers cheques and debit cards. Debit cards will likely incur int'l fees. Go with credit.

• 1 decade ago

The World takes Visa

• 1 decade ago

it depended to your destination. if you want to travel to some places like Iran you must know in Iran no any International ATM for master card or visa card but all exchanger and main exchange branch of all banks do it for you...

• 1 decade ago

i advice no someplaces dont have technology so they dont accept creditcard so i advice cash which is good and esay to use any place

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.