Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Is it possible to lose 8 - 10 lbs in ...

6 to 8 days, considering I don't eat for the whole time?

I mean because I don't get why you would have to eat if you have energy stores already. Like, animals do it, why not me?

Well I already eat healthy and excersice for anywhere between 2 to 8 hours a day. I'm not overweight, I just want to lose a bit more before I go to see someone in Toronto.

• ttt
    Favorite Answer

Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? No.

Here's the math.

3,500 calories = 1 pound.

Calories burned per hour. Well, sleeping consumes 60 calories per hour, while normal activies average around 90 calories per hour. (Normal defined as averaging between sitting down watching TV--75 calories per hour, averaged between walking or playing frisbee--105 to 115 calories per hour, excluding any moderate exercise)

So, let's say you spend 8 hours sleeping and the rest of the time engaged in normal activities. So on a daily basis you will burn:

8 hours sleeping X 60 calories per hour = 480

16 hours normal activity X 90 calories per minute = 1,440

Total calories burned = 1,920

So, that this rate, if you don't eat at all, you'll only lose about 1 pound every other day (again 3,500 calories = 1 pound.)

However, you probably won't even lose that much because if you stop eating, your body will go into "starvation mode" to conserve energy, for example, by slowing or shutting down any function not absolutely necessary to lower your metabolic rate, so you will burn even less calories. So even though you might normally burn 60 calories per hour while sleeping, if your body stops performing some of its normal functions, it might only burn 40 calories per hour or less instead.

For example, lower your metabolic rate and burn less calories, all your body has to do is slow your pulse rate slightly from, say 80 bpm to 75 bpm, send a little less nutrients and oxygen to your extremities, and reduce your body temperature by 1/2 a degree so it doesn't have to work as hard to maintain it at 98.6 degrees.

Now, you could feasibly lose more, but then you'd have to exercise, fairly strenuously, and if you're not eating, I don't see how you'll have the energy to do so without passing out.

Most people I know who have tried these type of starvation diets end up instead in the hospital because they've upset their normal body balance, usually resulting in just dehydration if they're lucky. If you're not quite as lucky, it is possible it could cause permanent damage to your internal organs.

and not ALL animals can go without eating. Only some, and only those who's bodies are specifically designed to live off of their fat reserves, such as bears during hybernation. Without food, a bird can die in as little as 2 days.

did you know that not eating makes you gain weight?

ho boy do i know that! i used to have an eating disorder.

my little head couldn't cope with the inevitable.

i used to not eat and do excessive exercise, but it didn't work.

because i had no energy to exercise from not eating.

i drank alot of water, which made me bloated too.

and when i started eating again i gained more than what i started at.

advice: eat 5 small meals a day.

for example

breakfast: a piece of fruit

snack: a handful of nuts

lunch: half a tin of soup

snack: a vegetable & dip

dinner: pasta and sauce

the highest amount of calories you consume in the example i've just shown is very low. (800-1000 maximum)

so if you exercise more than that, you'll loose a hell of alotta weight!

the most i've lost in 6 days is 4lbs.

drink green tea or vitamin water. stay away from diet soda! research has shown it increases weight.

:) good luck sweetie!

Source(s): experience :D

You have to eat because energy is not the only thing we get from food. We need amino acids from protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants etc etc. (ever heard of scurvy?). Also, using your fat stores is extremely inefficient, and you invaribly will lose muscle as well. As a rule of thumb, you can safely lose about 1 lb of fat per week without losing much muscle, so strive for that. Do it using both exercise and a HEALTHY diet plan.

Eat a balance diet, exercise, and drink 2-3 bottles of Del Monte's Fit N' Right everyday. It's effective I think...

Source(s): TV Commercial & Reality Show

it mite be achieveable yet till u commence eating a minimum of three nutrition an afternoon, u will finally end up interior the well-being middle via the top of the ten days. stable activity tho with the water and exercising consultation-ur on the main suitable music in those aspects. attempt eating 3 cups of milk an afternoon-it may aid you drop pounds while blended w/ the exercising consultation. stable success- i think of i kno how lots tension ur under, im attempting to lose some pounds ceremony now too. lemme kno if u locate any stable techniques of doing it

you can if you only eat the 3 meals