What can I do about my son's views regarding the global warming?

I would like serious answers only on this one. To begin, my 14 year old son is a full blown skeptic where the greenhouse effect is concerned. In one respect it drives me crazy that he is oblivious to all the evidence that this is a very real concern. It is of particular importance for our young people to take action where we've been corrupt. 2nd, I sometimes sense that this is a defense mechanism he uses to deal with it but the truth of it all is just too scary to deal with. The problem is that it is specifically because so many of us chose to hide our heads in the sand that we are where we are today. Your thoughts on this are appreciated.

• davem
    Favorite Answer

Global warming is not backed up by credible science. But the hype and scare tactics being used have been enough to convince some people that it's valid. It seems your son is far more educated on the topic, and intelligent, than you give him credit for. With the leftist brain-washing happening in schools today over g/w, it's interesting to see that there are still some students out there who see right through it for the scam that it is.

At his age I'd say get over it...let him live his life as a kid. This is clearly bothering you a lot more than him. I have no doubt over whose head is really in the sand here, as you say.

it is no longer uncommon for someone's' son to be extra wise than their mom and father. You seem closed minded. a minimum of he's open minded about the placement and needs extra evidence. attempt to be proud that he would not fall for each con that comes down the pike. You seem already confident of a international difficulty it extremely is in accordance to a idea with out evidence as of yet and is dropping floor quick. maximum scientists agree that human beings do not reason climate replace. So get your head out of the sand and analyze the placement. bypass to the library and seem for "The politically incorrect handbook to international warming, and environmentalism" with the help of Christopher Horner. bypass over it inclusive of your son and also you may both study some issues. in case you do not favor to study books, here are some links:

I would say congratulate him on having a keen and discerning mind able to see through to the truth about one of the biggest and most profitable con games of the last hundred years. This kid has a real future as an investigative reporter digging out the truth for the people not smart enough to see it.

JenE, I suggest that you take the time to thoughtfully sit and in a friendly way discuss or even debate the issue with your son. Have him listen to your side but also listen to his. You'd be surprised how much evidence there is out there disputing man-made global warming. Unlike the mainstream media will have you believe, there are a lot of very credible scientists that have been against AGW and there are more constantly coming out against this alarmism. Either way, if you give your son a chance to show you his side of the argument he'll be very likely to let you show him your side. Who knows, you might be surprised and he might end up changing your mind. The first link below has a huge list of article excerpts (and links) of scientists, even some IPCC scientists, organizations, the country of India, etc, that dispute the effects of catastrophic global warming.

I really hope you take time to consider the links below and the opposition view. I'm not some right wing nut job, my family has always voted democrat and I'm all for advancing technology with renewable energy and getting us off of oil but we need to do it for the right reasons. If we do the right thing for the wrong reasons, then that sets a dangerous precedent for the future, where we might not end up doing the right thing.

I know somebody who doesn't believe in global warming because of all the hype it has received in the media lately. While I think he's wrong, I think this kind of cynicism isn't necessarily a bad idea. The important thing is that your son's mind is open to the possibility of global warming being a true phenomenon.

"I sometimes sense that this is a defense mechanism he uses to deal with it but the truth of it all is just too scary to deal with."

Are you joking? "too scary to deal with." ???

Here; read this, it will make you feel better two ways. First, you'll know that in the next one hundred years, sea level is only expected to rise 40cm, not 7m. Second; you'll know your son is intelligent and discerning. Congratulations, he's a fine lad.

Official British Court Finds 11 Inaccuracies in Al Gore’s An Inconvenient Truth, Labels It As Political Propaganda

UPDATE: Just 9 errors.

InconvenientPrize9

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha! Take that in your face, Gorezilla!

If this keeps up, Al Gore and his hypocrite cronies could be conclusively debunked as utterly wrong and disowned as dishonest swindlers within my lifetime!

Before allowing it to be shown in schools Britain-wide, the British government has officially tried AL Gore’s global warming propa-scam-da film, An Inconvenient Truth, in court… And have reached the following conclusions (bolding is mine):

——————————

…the Court found that the film was misleading in 11 respects and that the Guidance Notes drafted by the Education Secretary’s advisors served only to exacerbate the political propaganda in the film.

In order for the film to be shown, the Government must first amend their Guidance Notes to Teachers to make clear that 1.) The Film is a political work and promotes only one side of the argument. 2.) If teachers present the Film without making this plain they may be in breach of section 406 of the Education Act 1996 and guilty of political indoctrination. 3.) Eleven inaccuracies have to be specifically drawn to the attention of school children.

The inaccuracies are:

* The film claims that melting snows on Mount Kilimanjaro evidence global warming. The Government’s expert was forced to concede that this is not correct.

* The film suggests that evidence from ice cores proves that rising CO2 causes temperature increases over 650,000 years. The Court found that the film was misleading: over that period the rises in CO2 lagged behind the temperature rises by 800-2000 years.

[See Climate Skeptic where you can find this outright lie to school children to spread global warming propaganda graph:

CO2andTemperatureLIE

And the actual facts graph:

CO2andTemperatureTRUTH

Teaching blatant, 180-degrees turned around untruths to kids... Can global warming fearmongers get any more intentionally, ethicslessly dishonest? Unfortunately, being comprised mostly of LIE-berals, I'm sure they can.]

* The film uses emotive images of Hurricane Katrina and suggests that this has been caused by global warming. The Government’s expert had to accept that it was “not possible” to attribute one-off events to global warming.

* The film shows the drying up of Lake Chad and claims that this was caused by global warming. The Government’s expert had to accept that this was not the case.

* The film claims that a study showed that polar bears had drowned due to disappearing arctic ice. It turned out that Mr Gore had misread the study: in fact four polar bears drowned and this was because of a particularly violent storm.

* The film threatens that global warming could stop the Gulf Stream throwing Europe into an ice age: the Claimant’s evidence was that this was a scientific impossibility.

* The film blames global warming for species losses including coral reef bleaching. The Government could not find any evidence to support this claim.

* The film suggests that the Greenland ice covering could melt causing sea levels to rise dangerously. The evidence is that Greenland will not melt for millennia.

* The film suggests that the Antarctic ice covering is melting, the evidence was that it is in fact increasing.

[See Irrefutable, It-Is-A-Fact Global Warming Causes ‘All-Time’ High Antarctic Ice.]

* The film suggests that sea levels could rise by 7m causing the displacement of millions of people. In fact the evidence is that sea levels are expected to rise by about 40cm over the next hundred years and that there is no such threat of massive migration.

* The film claims that rising sea levels has caused the evacuation of certain Pacific islands to New Zealand. The Government are unable to substantiate this and the Court observed that this appears to be a false claim.

• Tomcat

What evidence are you talking about, the lack of harsh winters in the Northern Hemisphere, the continued greening of planet earth or sea levels rising a few millimeters a year?

i would say let your son be WAY eco friendly

maybe talk to him about going to school to learn about it

that way he gets an education and he has fun trying to save the world!!!!!!!

also

tell him to do fundraisers or ANYTHING that he thinks will help the neighborhoods save the enviorment!

Al Gore's movie "An Inconvenient Truth" helped a couple of my friends realize what was happening to our planet and they're 17.

Send him to Dana or Trevor

they will educate him

and make him watch --Strange Days on Planet Earth

or the David Attenborough`s documentaries -Planet Earth

Start with this one

http://multiply.com/gi/ecowellness:video:744

and show him this map

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/globalwarming...