What does this mean??????????

The lamp of the body is the eye. If therefore your eye is good your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad your whole body will be full of darkness, how great is that darkness. (Matthew 6:22-23)

• Rick G
    Favorite Answer

In his Sermon on the Mount, Jesus called attention to the tremendous influence that the figurative or spiritual eye can exercise on our entire life course. He said: “If, then, your eye is simple, your whole body will be bright; but if your eye is wicked, your whole body will be dark.” (Matt. 6:22, 23) A simple eye is one that is focused on a single purpose—doing God’s will—not being distracted by undue anxiety over material things. (Matt. 6:19-21, 24-33)

What can help us to maintain a simple eye?

Cultivating Contentment: Providing adequately for the needs of one’s household is a Scriptural obligation. (1 Tim. 5:8) But this does not require that we engage in an endless quest for the best and latest things. (Prov. 27:20; 30:8, 9) Rather, the Scriptures urge us to be content with “sustenance and covering,” the necessities of life. (1 Tim. 6:8; Heb. 13:5, 6) Heeding this counsel can help us to keep our eye in proper focus.

We are wise to avoid burdening ourselves with unnecessary debt and with possessions or pursuits that require much time and attention. (1 Tim. 6:9, 10) How can we do this? When contemplating a course of action, prayerfully weigh the matter and honestly evaluate whether it will infringe on spiritual pursuits. Be determined to keep spiritual things first in your life.—Phil. 1:10; 4:6, 7.

This is in hamony with John's words at 1 John 2:15-17

15 Do not be loving either the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him; 16 because everything in the world—the desire of the flesh and the desire of the eyes and the showy display of one’s means of life—does not originate with the Father, but originates with the world. 17 Furthermore, the world is passing away and so is its desire, but he that does the will of God remains forever.

• Mosa A

There are two kinds of eyes simple and not simple

the simple ones means if you see any thing you take it as is

the not simple ones think about and give it more than it be and can imagine on it more bad and some time do story on it from nothing actual .

• rhanjo

The eye mirrors the soul. When you see a "light" of clarity in someones eyes, you can usually trust them , but when you see a dullness and darkness in someones eyes, you are more suspect of them.

"If thine eye be single, thy body shall be full of light".

It is NOT an eye that is being spoken of, rather it is the "I" which is single or is "One", as in "I AM THAT I AM", beside which THERE IS NO OTHER !!

As indicated in the reference, "When the consciousness is expanded to its true state of Knowing the allness and oneness of God, the flesh automatically manifests this condition. It then is the return of the flesh to its true state as radiant Substance of the Word of God."

"Of myself, I can do nothing. It is the Father in me who does the works."

I believe this is the true meaning of "I and my Father are One"!

The I AM, not the ego, is the only Self we are....

....and I AM is One!

Orin

Source(s): Life and Teaching of the Masters of the Far East Volumes 1 - 6 by Baird T. Spalding

It means that your eyes are the windows to your whole body, your mind. If you allow your eyes to watch bad things, then that’s what spoils your mind.

I dont know but it sounds like Matthew wanted some of that darkness

Source(s): []D [] /\/\ []D

I think it means that what you see is what you'll become, in other words, if you hang out just with bad people you will become a bad person, but if you stay only and see just good behavior (and I don't mean religiously) then you will be a good person.

I think it's saying that we acclimate to how we see the creation (as being good or evil.)

Pete

• I can see what kind of person you are in your eyes.

If you look at others with hate and bigotry, it makes you a hate filled person.