can a powersupply box be replaced in a tower with a srtonger one?

I ahve a 400 watt power supply with my cpu right now, im not trying to replace it anytime soon. But when the time comes in a few years, i was wondering if I can replace it with a stronger one or do I ahve to buy a new tower?

Favorite Answer

hrmmm lemme see if i can clear this up... power supplies are a universal size for the most part, they are going to have the same screw holes in the same places... one might be a tiny bit wider or longer, but it's basically the same, the only one i ever had that wasn't the same size had a fan mounted on the outside of the casing... by stronger i will assume that you mean more powerful... unless you had an issue where you got a huge dent in the side of the PSU... my 450w psu and my 1000w psu are exactly the same size... the real difference is what connections you need... if you have a newer motherboard you most likely need a 24pin connecter and a 4 pin 5v connecter... also make sure you have enough pci-express and sata connecters to suit your needs

Yes just verify that it is the right model for your motherboard. I once made the mistake of buying a pentium IV power supply when I ordered a AMD Motherboard/processor.

You most certainly can replace it with more power, don't let some one tell you different

Source(s): A+ technician 9 years

Yes, as long as they are the same size.

Yes you can replace it.

yes you could.