Home security for when I'm traveling?

I live in an exurb area, and I'm often away from my house for extended periods while on business. Recently, there was a break in at my house. My home security system scared off the thieves before they stole anything. But I'm wondering what I can do to deter thieves from breaking in in the first place. I'd like... show more I live in an exurb area, and I'm often away from my house for extended periods while on business. Recently, there was a break in at my house. My home security system scared off the thieves before they stole anything. But I'm wondering what I can do to deter thieves from breaking in in the first place. I'd like to put up signs warning about my home security, but I don't know if that will just encourage thieves to try to deactivate the alarms before they break in. I can also install lights that come on at night, though I'm not sure if that will help. Anyone have some good ideas?
Update: Thanks for the all the good tips. My home security company offers a wireless service, because, if my phone line gets cut, the normal home security doesn't work anymore. Is the wireless service worth getting? I suppose most thieves aren't smart or patient enough to go cut my phone line. But for the ones... show more Thanks for the all the good tips. My home security company offers a wireless service, because, if my phone line gets cut, the normal home security doesn't work anymore. Is the wireless service worth getting? I suppose most thieves aren't smart or patient enough to go cut my phone line. But for the ones that know what they're doing, is it easy for them to defeat security systems like ADT?