What's A "Billy Martin" taken from the film Ocean's 13,also a Cartwheel,a Brody & a Susan B. Anthony.

there are a couple of other nicknames of games they run so if you remember them send that too. I'm curious , and i love this movie ,just don't understand the lingo sometimes. any help out there?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

here is what I have:

Billy Martin - When they give Bank a second chance to do the right thing it's referred to as a Billy Martin. Billy Martin was a famous second baseman and manager. Martin was fired (or quit) as the manager of the New York Yankees in 1978. He was rehired as manager in 1980, given a second chance.

Irwin Allen - This con involves the mark being manipulated using the threat of a natural disaster. Irwin Allen was a television and film producer known for his work on disaster movies. His nickname was "The Master of Disaster."

Susan B. Anthony - This is not exactly a con (at least not directly). When the Susan B. Anthony dollar coin was widely used, people would often mistakenly drop it into a slot rather than a quarter (due to their similarity in size and appearance). Therefore the "Susan B. Anthony" semantically refers to a coin that has more value than what the slot player thinks, but in the context of the movie refers to the trick in which a large payout is rigged for the next player. In the movie it happens twice; each time the characters leave an actual coin (the "Susan B. Anthony") at a slot machine that has been rigged to give the maximum jackpot to the next player. The coin, of course, has nothing to do with the mechanics of the trick (it is an ordinary coin), but simply acts as a catalyst.

The Brody - A false nose worn by Matt Damon's character is referred to as the Brody. This is a reference to actor Adrien Brody known for having very striking looks, including a unique nose.

Gilroy - In the movie a Gilroy is a very powerful "accelerator," a chemical which gives off a smell that causes a woman to become very aroused. As it is used on Matt Damon's character the name Gilroy may be a reference to screenwriter Tony Gilroy who wrote the screenplays for all three of Damon's Jason Bourne series of movies as well as for George Clooney's upcoming movie Michael Clayton, which Gilroy also directs. This may also refer to the city of Gilroy, CA, which is known for its pungent garlic fields which can be smelled from miles away.

Cartwheel- Doing something 'outrageous' just to divert attention

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What's A "Billy Martin" taken from the film Ocean's 13,also a Cartwheel,a Brody & a Susan B. Anthony.

there are a couple of other nicknames of games they run so if you remember them send that too. I'm curious , and i love this movie ,just don't understand the lingo sometimes. any help out there?

Source(s): billy martin film ocean 13 cartwheel brody susan anthony: https://biturl.im/9n8rr
  • Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

What Is A Billy Martin

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.