does it snow in mexico?

does it snow in mexico? If so, in what regions/cities/towns. also where in mexico is the richest place to live?

Favorite Answer

Yes, there is snow in some areas of Mexico in the winters. Even now, in August, in the southernmost state of Mexico, Chiapas, the evening temperatures drop below 50F. If you click this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iztacc%C3%ADhuatl you will see pictures and can read of the permanent snow and glaciers on Iztaccíhuatl. And here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popocat%C3%A9petl for Popocatépetl.

Awesome question, it is beginning a great talk show here!

I'm mexican, answering from México. There is too much ignorance about this country (even among mexicans!):

The Facts:

1.- It DOES snow in México. Although it is divided by the Cancer tropic, the high inner lands (mountains and plates!) are cold and in winter it does snow in high central mountains (arround Mexico city) and northern states (those are OUT of the tropic actually; like Chihuahua, Durango, Sonora, Baja California, Zacatecas). The last snow we got here in Aguascalientes state was in 1997.

2.- The richest state in México is, actually Nuevo León; although statistics may show Mexico city as a rich place, it is false since it counts the money from the huge international corporations based in Mexico city, but the average people doesn't have better income than in northern states. Nuevo León state has an per capita income as good as spain or some states in the USA, Monterrey, its capital, is a big and modern city similar to its neighbors in San Antonio TX.

• Al4 years agoReport

And you woke up your pants were wet. Similar to Spain and USA? hahaha. IT might be the income, but the city is just a dump.

Yes it snows in high altitude cities like Toluca and Pachuca although very rarely. It is even more rare when it sticks. It snows every winter in the Distrito Federal (the Federal District) which encompasses Mexico City. IT rarely snows in the city proper, but has happened. The safest big city in Mexico is Mexico City if you are talking about crime. There are only one or two murders a day, usually among the most undesirable elemnets, and that is very low in comparison to other very large cities in North America.

Mexico City (Ciudad de México) may be the capital of Mexico and an amazing city surrounded by mighty mountain ranges. To see that town you can choose the best option hotelbye . The city's site is certainly breathtaking. Two impressive snow-covered volcanoes, Popocatépetl and Iztaccíhuatl, tower over it making use of their more of 5,000 meters. Mexico City also keeps countless pointers of its past and these are items that entice the tourists. The whipping center of Mexico City is Zócalo - the Plaza de la Constitución (Constitution Square) - where in fact the country's first structure was proclaimed in 1813 and now could be one of the most visited host to Mexico City since it's one of the world's biggest squares. In Mexico City you can also visit: the National Palace, the Metropolitan Cathedral and the Templo Mayor.

Richest place to live is Cabo San Lucas or Cancun.

You get snow in the mountains surrounding Mexico City. Yes Mexico is near the equator, but some of the mountain tops are so high in altitude that the temperature changes drastically as you go up high.

• Al4 years agoReport

Cabo San Lucas and Cancun? have you seen the actual town in those places? is like the atomic bomb hit them.

Rhino is right..I look at Orizaba every day and it is snow-topped. Mexico is NOT hot as as an oven. Beach areas are hot, but a great deal of the country is mountainous and cool. The year round avg. temp where I live is 75 degrees. Mexico city is often very cool...I was there the middle of July and it was very cool, everyone was wearing sweaters and jackets. It does not snow anywhere in Mexico except the highest mountaintops. that I know of...maybe a few very high towns. Any of the tourist cities, or San Miquel de Allende or near Lake Chapala are extremely "rich" places to live...that is, they are very expensive. However, I live in a modest little town far from those places, and there are millionaires in my town.

Yes it snows in Mexico.

I like Chihuahuas!!!

I spent a Christmas in Creel near the Copper Canyon when it snowed 18" and several roads going into the canyon were blocked. I have seen pictures of snow in Durango. Doesn't happen often but it can happen in the northern highlands.

The state of Chihuahua is the wealthiest state in Mexico.

YES... and I have the pictures I took on CHRISTMAS DAY in 2003 to PROVE IT. I was about 50 miles south of the border in a small RV park. Reading over the other answers, it's obvious that the people who insist it's too hot or on the equator or whatever, have NEVER BEEN IN MEXICO.