I waited for 8 hours in the emergency room and guess what

I am extremely furious. What has happened to this country? How can a man wait in the Emergency Room for 8 hours until he is being treated? If you don't think there is something wrong with that then there is definitely something wrong with you. We always brag with our high standards and sophistication but when a man gets sick he has to spend a lifetime waiting for treatment. We are the most backward country there is in terms of health care, and it really hurts coming to this realization.

Is there anything I can do about this, like write a letter to the hospital or inform the newspaper or something? I can't let this slide, I'm sorry.

• BugYA
    Favorite Answer

This is how they handle the busy workload. By the time they see you, you are either well or dead. Besides it took them the 8 hours to see how many of their doctor friends had time to send you a bill.

welcome to healthcare in the 21st century. there are fewer ER's than in the past, hospitals are closing everywhere, and people are coming to the ER in much greater numbers than in the past, because of the lack of coverage, many people use the ER like a doctor's office, coming in for colds, flu and other non emergencies because they cant get an appointment within a reasonable period or they dont have a primary care physician because they have no health insurance. healthcare is big business these days and decisions are made according to the business end as much as medical reasons. Hospital beds are fewer and fewer so those in the ER being admitted wait a long time for a room backing up the ER even more. Best bet is to stay healthy and see your doc on a regular basis for check ups.

I would suggest either writing to the hospital administrator, or if your local news has something like problem solvers, let them know. Maybe they will come out and do a story on what happened to you. I'm sorry that you had to go through that by the way.

My next suggestion would be that if you ever have another situation like this again, try going by ambulance. My husband is a doctor, and they usually take those patients first, but of course it costs a lot more.

I think it's perfectly normal to feel that way. I pretty much felt that way too. But you can still invite your parents to be at the hospital with you though. They could be in the room while you labor. The nurses can have them leave periodically to check your dilation or if something has to be done that requires nudity. Or they can stand in a place like up by your head where they don't have a bulls eye view of your privates. With two of my children I had my best friend with me and she was the "Modesty Police" because I knew I wouldn't be in a state to care. I remember her telling the Dr. to "Cover up her butt, she doesn't want her butt out."lol. Anyway, you do have options, and a lot of people find out once they are there they don't really care who sees. Since you are young you might change your mind and at least want your mom there. I didn't want any guys in the room except for my hubby, but I have some friends who have the whole clan in there.

Was it at night or on the weekend? I bet most of you don't know that there are extended periods of time when some ER's don't have a doctor on duty, just on call (the staff is forbidden to tell patients even if they ask). And he/she decides whether or not to come in any big hurry according to what he/she is told by a staff member. My son sat in the ER for eight hours with a broken leg. We went in at midnight and had to sit there until eight o'clock in the morning (no other patients). All they did was give him an icepack. Not even anything for pain. They knew there was no doctor available but would not tell me that. We live in a decent sized city with a large hospital, not out in the sticks.

Source(s): USA

sorry about that!

I'm not sure if you can do anything about it.. I'm sure someone already has tried because that's normal to wait that long..

My dad and I waited for about 15 hours before they took us in and we we're talking to a man that got bit by a spider and he had been waiting for 1 whole day..

In fact if you complain to the staff.. all they tell you is to wait because there are ppl ahead of you that have been waiting for days... so they know that ppl wait long.

Next time try going to one of the religious hospital emergency rooms.. a lot ppl don't go there and they take you in a lot quicker.

Sorry you had to go through that.. i know how much of pain that is.

I would try the newspaper though.

I know how ridiculous it is! I was throwing up and couldn't walk and they made me wait in a chair and I passed out. Eventually they got to me. There was this video on AOL maybe you can find it on you tube. It's an elderly woman that's waiting for ER care, and she just collapses and dies right there in the waiting room.I was soooo shocked that the people sitting there saw the whole thing and didn't do anything until the dr's came! I'm really sorry that you had to wait that long. Maybe you should take it to your local news or paper. People need to see how crappy the hospitals treat people!

Sadly that happens quite often. In an emergency room setting of course the more critical patients are taken quicker, and that is the way it should be. If it really bothers you that much, you should write a letter to the hospital administration.

You can let the hospital know or write a letter to the editor, but sadly these type of things happen. I am an ER nurse, and no matter how hard we try, people have to wait. 8 hours is a lot, I don't think that most of my patients have ever waited that long.

Was your injury or illness life threatening? Did you go during peak hours on a Friday or Saturday night. Did you go by ambulance (those patients usually get treated quicker but not always) The great thing about this country is that you can write the hospital and complain. I agree 8hrs was excessive.

I have spoken with people who have lived in countries with socialized medicine and they have issues with it as well. I guess there are pros and cons to both.

Source(s): Former EMT and Surgical Technician

Sadly, this is not unusual these days. There are a lot fewer ERs than there used to be and more people going to the ER for all sorts of things. My son, who is 4, waited for 4 to 5 hours to have his wound clued from running into the edge of a wall. They had to wake him up to do it and they didn't even move the hair all out of the way. Many who were obviously sick left and went to another ER.

You can absolutely write a letter to the hospital and you can get the names of those in charge and their addresses from their website. I wrote a letter to the same hospital after I had elective surgery that had been scheduled for a while and stayed in post-op for 6 hours because they couldn't find a bed for me. They eventually put me in with an old, blind woman in much pain after dinner so I missed that, too. When I asked one of the rent-a-nurses for more to drink, he asked me if I wanted to see where to get it so I could get it for myself! My roommate's daughter got it for me eventually.

After my letter, the nursing administrator called me to apologize and gave me her number to call if I had any other problem. She said her assistant had instructions to find her if I called. The floor nursing manager also called me to apologize.

If nothing else, the letter will make you feel better for having done something about it.