Substitute for curry powder in recipe?

I'm making slow-cooked amaretto chicken and the recipe calls for curry powder. My mother hates curry powder, and I was wondering if you could think of an alternative that would be good as well. Anything except for chili powder, please. Thanks!!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Curry Powder Blend

tablespoons whole cumin seeds, toasted

2 tablespoons whole cardamom seeds, toasted

2 tablespoons whole coriander seeds, toasted

1/4 cup ground turmeric

1 tablespoon dry mustard

1 teaspoon cayenne

Place all ingredients in a container with an airtight lid. Shake to combine. Store in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. When ready to use, grind and add to dishes according to taste.

if you leave out the cayenne, your mom should like it!

Source(s): Alton Brown's recipe for curry powder
  • 1 decade ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curry_powder

"Most recipes and producers of curry powder usually include coriander, turmeric, cumin, and fenugreek in their blends. Depending on the recipe, additional ingredients such as ginger, garlic, fennel seed, cinnamon, clove, mustard seed, green cardamom, black cardamom, mace, nutmeg, red pepper, long pepper, and black pepper may also be added."

So depending on which of these spices or herbs your mother doesn't care for is which ones you leave out of your blend.

• 1 decade ago

It will depend on your taste and the reason for the substitute but check out the link below. Hoe this is helpful to you.

• 1 decade ago

How about a dash of hot pepper sauce e.g. tabasco, encona?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Thanks, this worked great for my recipe!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.