Are driving schools worth the money?

My wife just moved here. She learned to drive in her country 5 years ago but hasn't driven since. I checked in to driving schools and I am not hearing good things. People paying $300 to $500 to watch a few videos and maybe get three 20 minute sessions in a car.

Should I put her in the school or just teach her myself?

Best Answer

Driving schools are like most other businesses. There will be reputable companies who will be good at what they do, and have high pass rates, and there will be the dodgy ones who are just in it for the money. The hardest part is finding a reputable one. You need to speak to people who have used the schools. If they had a good experience with them, then it is worth considering them.

I had a good experience in my driving school. My sessions were like 45 minutes- to an hour (for like the same price range all together, but broken into individual payments for each session) And I never saw one video it was all hands on experience. I feel it's worth it, because out on the road the driving instructor has his/her own set of brakes for the car, so if your wife loses control the instructor would be there to help prevent any mishaps. I think you should let her try the school, and after a few classes, you can take her on the road to see how much she's improved.

Source(s): Personal experience

Depends, it might be wise, especially if your insurance company will give you a break on premiums if she goes through a program. Check with them.

Also, you may not know it, but you probably have some bad driving habits and you may inadvertantly pass those on; which may make it difficult for her to pass a road test. Plus, depending on what her native country was, the rules of the road may be quite different. If it were me, I'd put her in driving school.

You didn't mention what State you live in. the best way is to get a learner permit package from the local Division of Motor Vehicles, and teach her yourself. Remember, good drivers are made, not born. And don't yell at her when she makes a mistake!

Call your insurance, and find who is accredited to give lessons that count towards insurance discounts. You don't say where you live, but that is not an accredited school where I am from.

In a city near me, one sister was teaching her sister to drive. After the learner crashed into two homes,she panicked, and drove over her sister, killing the sister in the process.

• Dangyo

Well if she already knows the basics just teach her yourself. I had my license taken away for 2 yrs and the second I got back to driving it felt like yesterday I started. good luck

i thin k they are worth the money because if you go to driving school you can have up to four months taken off the 12 months time till you can get your next driving license. so i would unless you dont care how much time it takes.

If you have time to teach her, do that, but in the school, she will have on hand and be legal. with you she want..she should be worth that much to you, after all, she is your wife.

Yes. They are professionals that know the best way to teach drivers ed.

well really she learn to drive before then she should still know how... teach her the rules and do it your self