Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyOther - Skin & Body · 1 decade ago

Baking soda really whiten teeth??

I am tired of expensive teeth whitening products that barely work. I heard someone say that they used baking soda and water, made them into a paste, and let it soak on there teeth for a couple of minutes every day and it made them whiter. Im just wondering if anyone has tried this and what kind of results they got.

Thanks!!

Best Answer

Baking soda paste is a very, very old way of brushing teeth. It's gently abrasive so it does a good job of scrubbing off plaque, and the sodium content in it makes it mildly antibacterial. It also helps bring blood to the surface of the gums (but not make you bleed) to help fight off potential infections. I have applied baking soda pastes to mouth ulcers, too, to help kill the virus or whatever is causing it. While it does sting on those sores, it works wonders. I would say that the abrasiveness of it is what does the whitening.

• Janice

Baking soda is the best! I do it all the time and I saw results when i started within the first 3 days. But you need to do it properly. Put toothpaste on your bursh and bursh ur teeth with it a little until its all soapyish, then dip ur toothbrush in baking soda and brush for a full 2 MINUTES, Takes a long time to brush those stains away. and doing this twice a day for 3 days then you will have pearl white teeth!

My teacher said she made a paste out of peroxide and baking soda. She said it worked absolutely amazing within like 10 or so minutes. You have to be very careful though, because she accidentally got it on her gums and it left her gums white for a few weeks, haha.

Arm & Hammer Advance White Baking Soda & Peroxide Fluoride Anti-Cavity Toothpaste makes your teeth three shades whiter in one tube i mean i use it.

I have not tried the baking soda but at the store they have baking soda toothpaste that is great! It is maybe $3 for a tube and tastes great. it is by Arm N Hammer.

Yes! it can work! baking soda is the most natural whitener. It works over multiple uses.

Yah but don't make that weird homemade stuff. use arm and hammer toothpaste that u can buy that has baking soda in it. It works good. Heres a pic: http://www.minimus.biz/images/C01-0119302-4100bg.j...

• yes it does. i use it every night before i go to bed and it really helps. get your toothbrush wet and dip in the bristles all the way and brush in circles. it works really well but just to warn you, it does take guts to do it because it has a very stingy taste.

yeah it does work.. but you gotta do it everyday or else you wont see results.

i do it differently i get my toothbrush and put some paste on it and add some baking soda it works for me..

i guess it does but i hear it makes your teeth like really pale and ugly so i wouldnt try it if i were you i would just stick to brushing my teeth w/ colgate or crest