Examples of how science is used in Astronomy?

What would be some things used for day to day work in Astronomy that links back to Science?

example.

A horticulturalist and understanding the pH of soil, will choose plants accordingly.

thank you.

Adriana.

Update:

How would the Knowledge of Science be useful/helpful in being a Astronomer on a daily basis.

hope this helps any queries.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • squeek
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Astronomy is itself a science. The act of "doing astronomy" is actually "doing science". But I don't think that's your question. I will assume that you are looking for the more "nuts and bolts" of astronomy.

There can be a lot of physics that is used in astronomy: Kepler's Laws, electromagnetism, fluid flows (like the solar wind passing by the Earth), gravitational forces, telescope design (optics, radio waves, X-rays, even gamma rays and neutrino detectors), and many more.

There can be a lot of chemistry in astronomy: spectral analysis of chemical composition of stars and planets, searches for organic material and water, even terrestrial experiments where we mix up the compounds known to be on another planet to see what might happen!

There can be a lot of math in astronomy: computations galore, and a LOT of computer science.

There can be a lot of biology in astronomy: the chemical composition of a planet may yield answers to whether that planet can support life. And many people are getting into new fields like exobiology where they ponder what sorts of life forms could be on those planets.

Astronomy is a nice conglomeration of many different sciences like physics, math, chemistry, engineering, biology, and others. We use those other sciences in special ways to study the nature of the universe and call it astronomy.

But in the same way, astronomy itself is also used in physics, math, chemistry, and engineering. The results that we got from astronomers helped us to gauge the age of the universe, and propose physics theories about black holes, dark matter, and many other physics theories. Astronomy was the mathematical basis for Kepler's Laws, which led to a great new understanding of certain types of math. Astronomy has had a HUGE impact on engineering and material science due to the very highly specialized parts and designs needed for optical and radio telescopes, satellites, the moon missions, mars missions, voyager... (I could be here all night!)

My point is that many different sciences are used in astronomy, and astronomy is used in many other sciences. They all go hand in hand.

• pintor
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

the 1st question is what branch will tutor it. Assuming that's taught as a PoliSci course particularly than a actual technological awareness course, the actual technological awareness creation must be extremely short: possibly the 1st couple of weeks out of 15. you will then have one or 2 discussions of the debates concerning the actual technological awareness -- in straight forward terms a point out of the frauds (Monkton) yet a real communicate of the likes of Roy Spencer concerning how guy would be in charge for in straight forward terms area of the warming. there's no ought to spend extra suitable than 1 / 4 of the hours on actual technological awareness. pupils would need technical historic past to bypass farther than the reality that all and sundry experts agree. Then discussions of what outcomes are already being seen and what outcomes are envisioned. How will those impact the international? Spend a healthful factor, possibly 1 / 4 of the hours, on the political puzzle, how confusing is is to get the international locations of the international to agree. you will ought to conceal a splash interest thought: "tragedy of the commons" on the least. Then an replace on what agreements have already been positioned into place. There are international agreements and man or woman states making rules. Then upload cutting-edge company strikes, how man or woman agencies are already changing. If this would nicely be a proper college, i would not do it as an introductory course. i'd probable aim it to older pupils by require situations the two in international family members or in Economics (the two micro and macro). in any different case, a solid understand-how demands understand-how the basics of too many matters.

• 1 decade ago

Pretty much everything in science is useful in astronomy. You need physics and mathematics to help determine masses, rotations, sizes, orbits, and distances of objects. A form of chemistry can be used (like the other poster said) to determine what elements are present on an object in space. I'm sure even biology is used to help some astronomers.

• 1 decade ago

Astronomy is a science, so everything about it has to do with science. Astronomers, out of necessity, make use of other sciences like mathmatics, physics, chemistry, geology, and a host of others in the course of their work.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

everything. everything. everything. everything. Here is the thing, astronomy is a sub-section in science, so it has everything to do with it. It is like sciecne is the brain and body of astrnomy and math is the language. Because along with science, math has everything to do with astronomy and science.

• 1 decade ago

well the only way to figure what a planet's enviorment is like is by the chemistry ( like how the planet looks is based on the way chemicals react on that place ) if that made scenes

• 1 decade ago

newtons laws of motion, kepler's laws of planetary motion, spectrometry(use of prisms to break apart light into the visible spectrum), the lawys of light to bend light for telescope use.

the list is really endless im not sure what you really mean and or if this helpful.

Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Haha I see you got the science assignment. Sorry I really can't help with that.

• 1 decade ago

hmmm smart question, smart women turns me on :)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.