Dad
Lv 6
Dad asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Do Dogs laugh, and do they smile?

We have a Pomeranian that we bought 3 years ago, and I am just curious whether Dogs laugh and smile. When his mouth is open, that does not necessarily mean he's smiling. It could mean that he's hot... I can determine whether he's happy or not by observing to his tail, but I don't know when he may be laughing or smiling.

How does one determine when a Dog laughs and smiles?

Thanks.

Dad

35 Answers

Relevance
  • Ammy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well an article posted here in Live Science sure thinks they do. Here's the link:http://www.livescience.com/animals/050331_laughter...

I tend to think dogs smile rather than laugh. Now if we can get that canine translator that the Japanese invented we could always ask the dog what's so funny.

I think a dogs' personality is an indicator of when it laughs or smiles so in the meantime we can believe what we want.

• Login to reply the answers
  • boyes
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Do Dogs Laugh

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Do Dogs laugh, and do they smile?

We have a Pomeranian that we bought 3 years ago, and I am just curious whether Dogs laugh and smile. When his mouth is open, that does not necessarily mean he's smiling. It could mean that he's hot... I can determine whether he's happy or not by observing to his tail, but I don't know when he...

Source(s): dogs laugh smile: https://shortly.im/B6xpW
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Hi, I understand that you are looking for some advice or resources to help fully train your dog or fix behavior problems. If a professional dog trainer is not an option at this time, or if you want to trt training your dog on your own (a great way to bond), I'd suggest you https://biturl.im/aU3uV

A friend recommened it to me a few years ago, and I was amazed how quickly it worked, which is why I recommend it to others. The dog training academy also has as an excellent home training course.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If his mouth is open and he appears to be laughing, and it's not hot, then it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

You can't tell if a dog is happy just by a wagging tail. You should spend more time learning dog body language. Then you wouldn't be so confused as to what your dog is saying. Perhaps that is why he is so nasty and aggressive and peeing all over your house. You don't spend the time to understand him.

• 1 decade ago

Is this the dog you got at the mall?? $2300 purebred from Russia??

If he is with slightly open mouth, tongue out somewhat, and cheeks pulled back, he is laughing. If he is with tongue pulled in, but front teeth showing, he is smiling. Dogs have a sense of humor, so it makes sense that they laugh and smile.

• Irma
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I don' t know whether to laugh or cry but my dog has been working on a hole in the yard and this morning she was covered in mud. I try to catch her to stop the behavior, but I put her out and then one of the kids needed something. She looked hilarious. Until she stepped inside. lol

• 1 decade ago

No, they do not laugh or smile. Since laughing and smiling are human actions there is no way to determine when they are smiling and laughing because dogs don't do either.

You're welcome,

shepherdgirl

• Dot
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

My dog doesn't laugh, well not that I have heard anyway.

I would judge a smile by the wag of the tail.

I think when a dog pulls it's lips back it is not a smile. :)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes actually they do laugh and sometimes smile. Scientist think that when a dog laughs its kinda like a sneeze but different. And yes they can smile here is a pic http://www.northcoastjournal.com/112504/cover1125-...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.