Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Has anyone read Obama's memoirs

I asked a question about whether Obama was thought to be racist and got a lot of answers about what he is saying NOW and how he has never said he hated white people. However, in his memoirs it said he found solace nursing a grievance against his mother's race! For anyone who doesn't know what that means, in a nutshell it means it made him feel better to hate white people!

If he is NOT a racist any longer, why did he attend a VERY racist, hate-speaking church for over 20 years and subject his children to that?? Come on, people! Open your eyes! How is this not worrisome? His memoirs are HIS OWN WORDS. He doesn't say that now, so what? He is trying to become President. A person will say anything in that situation.

It was published in his memoirs, "Dream Of My Father" published in 1995

All of your slams against McCain really make no difference to me. I don't like either of them. Just shows you where assumptions get you.

He did NOT say that he found solace in nursing a grievance and animosity against his mother's race? Ok...

Favorite Answer

He didn't say that in his books. The first book, DREAMS FROM MY FATHER, is about the difficulties faced by a biracial child in assimilating into society. His problem was compounded by the fact that although he looks more like a black person than a white person, he was raised by his white mother and grandparents. Most biracial people are raised in black communities. He wasn't. He was raised in Hawaii where no one paid much attention to race. He was met with a big helping of culture shock when he came to the mainland as a young college student. That's what the book is about, and you should read the whole book instead of quoting other people who have stretched and twisted what he said in the book. It's obvious that you haven't. I don't know whether you're a hate-monger or a gullible kid, but you might learn something if you read his books.

Just read the link that the first poster included in his answer.

I am not clear if you have read his books, or are just pulling a quote out of context.

I read both, well before he announced his candidacy, and found them to be honest explorations of what he went through to become the person he is today. He talked about his past, he talked about his challenges, and he did so very candidly.

Are you as concerned with McCain's choice of Hagee, or how he has embraced the Christian right, after his previous denunciation of them?

That is my problem with questions like yours... a one issue sort of approach, and turning a blind eye to the similar behavior when it suits.

I respectfully ask if you seriously think that the issue of Obama's pastor's statements reflect on Obama. If so, Hagee, Parsley, Falwell and others have said much worse. And McCain basically disowened his previous opinion of them by embracing them in order to further his political ambitions.

He's a racist. His wife is a racist AND a whiner. Both got where they did through affirmative action and then pissed and moan about how badly they were treated once they got there. I've heard the audio tapes of him reading his memoirs and both are nauseating. Do you have any idea of the level of arrogance that drives a person to write not one but two memoirs before the age of 40 and before he's really done anything at all?

A leopard does not change his spots, not while hanging around the likes of his associates anyway.

Here's a few more quotes for you. The last one is my favorite.

From Dreams of My Father: 'I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites.'

From Dreams of My Father : 'I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'There was something about him that made me wary, a little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names.'

From Dreams of My Father: 'I never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father's image, the black man, son of Africa , that I'd packed all the attributes I sought in myself , the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela.'

and finally:

From Audacity of Hope: 'I will stand with the Muslims should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.'

• Cinner

You are right, he is racist now and was racist then. To the first answerer: Typical white woman ring a bell for you? I went to the link you provided and was shocked at how Snopes is going out of their way to make Obama's words ok. So I guess they too are part of the MSM.

Like McCain who was first against making Martin Luther King day a national holiday, and then wasn't.

All politicians are hypocrites.

Obama is half white/black. It's only natural that he stuggled with his identity when he was younger.

I read both books. Thats exactly why he went to the anti white government church he went to.

Both his books contradict each other also.

Its like obama thinks ameica has short term memory and wont remember from book to book.

sickening the way he thinks he can just say one thing and do another.

Michelles thesis says she will put the black race first and foremost in anything and everything she does.

Obama asked princeton to take her thesis offline until Nov 5th, day after the election.

google "obama takes thesis offline"

you will be amazed what they are trying to hide and what they eblieve.

• =]

Hahah.

Obama.

All questions regarding him belong in the Jokes&Riddles section.

I've read the ones about him smoking dope in his Harvard dome.

Source(s): "Yoo, I don't smoke weed, I smoke clowns like you on the b-ball quote."

Didn't say that in his book.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/ownwords.asp

Patticharon, you know what you wrote was bogus right? Straight out of a chain E-mail.

Is the Phuck the Truth Day or what?

EDIT: It was Dreams from My Father.

Damn you smear artists can't even get the title of the book right lol.

I want to see a source and a quote for that. I am sick and tired of right wing crackpots posting lies here.

If he wasn't do you think his wife would still be hanging around????