French Quarter -- Bourbon Street

Does the Mardi Gras tradition (the one with the beads) happen on other days or does it only happen during Mardi Gras?? Will I be the only drunk guy with beads on Bourbon Street some random Friday night?? Would I have to wait for a major public holiday??

I am planning on a trip down to New Orleans later this year, and I would like to see some of the 'sights' that bourbon street and the French quarter has to offer.

Thanks.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

New Orleans is a tourism city and they sell beads year round at numerous stores through out the french quarter. So no matter what time of year you go you will see people/tourists wearing beads and its no big deal. Most nights on Bourbon street all year long people will throw beads from the balaconies to the crowds below.

As for Mardi the final weekend until tuesday is the largest of the parades but each weekend for weeks prior there are events and parades.

Mardi Gras

January 6 - February 24, 2009

The official beginning of the Mardi Gras season is Jan 6, which is called Twelfth Night (12 days after Christmas). On that cold night, a krewe called Phunny Phorty Phellows has their drunken streetcar parade down St. Charles Ave. Most of the big parades start two Fridays before Mardi Gras Day. From this point on, parades will happen everyday until Fat Tuesday.

• 1 decade ago

I am a native of New Orleans. The Carnival season starts a couple of weeks before Mardi Gras (Mardi Gras means "Fat Tuesday" and occurs only on the Tuesday preceding Ash Wednesday.) There are numerous parades throughout the entire carnival season, culminating in Mardi Gras day.

There are plenty of drunks on Bourbon Street almost any night and many of them (99.9 percent tourists) are wearing beads.

Other good times to visit and party in N.O. are during the French Quarter Festival and Jazz Fest (both in the spring.) Just google French Quarter Festival or New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival for information on either.

While here, be sure to venture out beyond the Quarter. N.O. is an amazing city with lots to offer.

We look forward to your visit! Have fun!

• 1 decade ago

If you see other people wearing beads when it's not Mardi Gras, you can be pretty sure they're tourists. For natives, it's like drinking eggnog in July, but knock yourself out.

• 1 decade ago

mardi gras only happens once a year. however, i've been to new orleans several times in the last few years and i can assure you that you will NOT be the only drunk with beads on any random night! have fun...i'm jealous!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.