College Assignment: 9 questions for non-Christians

For a college assignment, I must conduct an email interview with someone whose world view is not Christian. The 9 questions are:

1. In your view, what is responsible for the existence of the universe?

2. Where did the world come from? how did it come into being?

3. What is a human being?

4. What happens to a human being when he or she dies?

5. How can we be sure that we have any true knowledge?

6. how do you determine what is right and wrong?

7. Does history have any purpose or theme? How does life have any significance?

8. Do you have any problems with the Christian view of reality?

9. What do you appreciate about the Christian view of reality?

Update:

Please indicate your world view, whether it be Atheist, Muslim, Judaism, Buddhist, whatever. Please understand that this is a humble and honest request by a person to gain respect and insight into world views. If by asking these questions I have offended anyone, I apologize.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • zero
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1. Don't know. I also didn't know we needed someone to put the responsibility on.

2. Condensation, to oversimplify

3. a member of the species Homo sapiens

4. If, to you, person = mind - the neurons stop firing and their 'mind' (unique pattern of neurons) ceases to exist. If you mean their body - well, we all know what happens to that.

5. We can't. We can produce probabilities based on experience and hope for the best.

6. It's different for every person, in every culture, in every time period. Based on genetics (i.e. psychotics) and experience.

7. History, as an entity, doesn't really exist - it's all modern interpretation of existing material items. It's themes depend on who is interpreting it. Same for the significance of life.

8. It's limited.

9. It's based on caring for your fellow man and forgiveness.

• 1 decade ago

I don't believe that this is a college assignment.

Y!A is not an email conversation:

1. In your view, what is responsible for the existence of the universe?

->Natural Forces.

2. Where did the world come from? how did it come into being?

->Natural Forces.

3. What is a human being?

->a member of the species homo sapiens sapiens

4. What happens to a human being when he or she dies?

->decomposition. Anything else is a guess.

5. How can we be sure that we have any true knowledge?

->Experimentation.

6. how do you determine what is right and wrong?

->Experience. Empathy. Imagination.

7. Does history have any purpose or theme? How does life have any significance?

->The purpose of history is to tell the stories of the past. The theme of history depends on the history. Why is this one quesion?

What do you mean by significance?

8. Do you have any problems with the Christian view of reality?

->Only that it makes the mistake of monotheism, and like other monotheist views assumes that others are incorrect with no evidence for their correctness over others, but that's not a view of reality. Christian view of reality is undefined.

9. What do you appreciate about the Christian view of reality?

->There is nothing positive found in Christianity not found in other religions which lack the flaws of Christianity.

You said: "Please understand that this is a humble and honest request by a person to gain respect and insight into world views."

So, you're saying you lied to get these answers?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1. A large cosmic bang. In the lore of my religion the realm of ice crashed with the realm of fire and the explosion created the realms and began life. Sounds like a Big Bang to me.

2. Haven't a clue. I go with billions of years. Science is discovering more every year.

3. An evolved mammal on a planet that can sustain such a creature. An intelligent one with self awareness and rational thinking (some of the time).

4. I believe we go to wherever or whatever we believe in while alive. Greek pagans to the Elysian Fields, Celts to Summerland, Christians to Heaven/Hell, etc.

5. We can't - probably ever. That's why everything must be questioned and more than once. People once believed the world was round, then flat, then round again.

6. Do my actions bring honor or dishonor to myself, my friends, family, community or deities. Somethings are common sense - don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you. At the same time - if you hit me, I will hit you back and you will know it.

7. History (hopefully) teaches us how to evolve as a society and individually - to know what NOT to do at times. I believe life has significance for yourself, family, friends, community and world.

8. Yes. I've talked with Christians who feel we don't have to care for the Earth because the Rapture is going to happen very soon. Ridiculous output. It seems like the entire religion is focused on what happens after death - not about here and now. That seems to be a second concern.

I am a reconstruct Heathen (aka Germanic/Anglo-Saxon paganism, Asatru, Odinism, Theodism)

• 1 decade ago

1. The universe itself. It is the "highest power" so to speak. It is not personified, it simply is. Just like a hurricane simply is.

2. The universe

3. We are of the primate family, a Homo Sapien

4. I have no idea. I don't really care. I don't really believe in much of an afterlife but I do know I am not going to waste my life thinking about it since this is probably the only one I am going to get.

5. Define true..

6. Social conditioning. Yes it really is that simple

7. Life itself is beautiful. It has it's own drive, it's need, it's own purpose. I don't need to search out some deep purpose when living it is enough for me.

8. Yes, a great deal.

9. That, at least in theory, they are supposed to love thier nieghbor and make the world a better place. When practiced in earnest they are nice people. It's not practiced in earnest much any more I'm afraid.

Source(s): Norse Heathen Polytheist
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

1. It's possible that a supreme being/beings created the universe, it is equallly conceivable it happened via the big bang, and lastly it is conceivable that a god or gods created the universe via the big bang.

2. through the processes of #1 above.

3. A homosapien

4. Subjective. I think an individual human beings beliefs affect his fate upon death.

5. That's what faith is. A belief in something you cannot prove.

6. My own moral compass. The Wiccan Rede is a good guide though I am not Wiccan

7. For me my life is a journey of self discovery and I think I will reincarnate till I figure out all that I need to know to "evolve" to the next level of existence.

8. Only when they try to force me to their way of thinking.

9. I used to value their sense of morality...but, of late their judgemental attitudes and inability to allow others to follow their own path has darkened my opinion of christianity. - I am quite certain this is a generalization and that yes indeed there are good christians in the world.

• 1 decade ago

1. In my personal opinion, I believe in the Big Bang because so far, it has made the most sense to me. Even though I don't personally believe in God, I am not closed to the idea that one may exist and have created the universe, but I don't believe it was the Christian God.

2. Solar nebula. ;)

3. Homo sapiens.

4. I figure that there is probably nothingness. I am also open to the idea of reincarnation, but not Heaven or Hell.

5. You mean when it comes to the supernatural, etc? Well, when it comes down to it, no one really does. We just try to figure things out based off what we learn and experience.

6. Uh... non-Christians have morals too. Personally, I don't believe in lying (except sometimes a white lie, which I don't think is bad), stealing, killing, etc etc... I guess the main difference between me and Christians is I support gay marriage and I'm pro-choice and against the death penalty. In my opinion, I have better morals, but the Christians that oppose me obviously think they have better morals. It's pretty subjective.

7. Yes, history is to teach us. Everyone gives meaning to their own life. For me, I brought love to someone who needed it, and I'm glad I was able to. (Zach, I love you. <3)

8. Yeah, kind of. Mostly because Christians are trying to stop things such as gay marriage... it's when their religion starts to dictate things outside of their church tht I get bothered.

9. I've known some amazing Christians (and some not-so amazing ones), and someone of them are VERY loving and nice people, not quick to anger... that's something I like.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1 The big bang is the best and most likely explanation and is the theory I accept

2 Material in space clustered together to make the earth

3 A mammal

4 The electrical impulses running through the brain stop and thoughts cease, this is followed immediately by the beginning of decompostion.

5 By study of facts and evidence and by scientific experiment

6 I already know wht is right and wrong through experience and being taught by my parents, teachers and friends.

7 No, it doesnt particularly

8 Yes, too many to list, but mostly the fact there is no empirical evidence for their god, yet they claim it is a supreme being and all others are wrong in any other asumption and will be punished for it.

9 charity

• 1 decade ago

1. I think there could be a higher power that I do not know nor understand, but I don't think it's the Christian God.

2. I have no idea. How would I know?

3. The same decaying organic matter as everything else.

4. I'll tell you once I die.

5. We can't.

6. Depending on who it hurts

7. We can learn from history to not make the same mistakes. You make life have significance in a job, family, love, nature, whatever you want.

8. Nope

9. I dunno

• 1 decade ago

1) The big bang.

2) See above.

3) A being that is human. Ie. has human DNA of its own.

4) Rest and relaxation followed by possible reincarnation or ascension.

5) Can't.

6) I have my own code of ethics I live by.

7) Life is greatly significant, it is a marvelous gift.

8) I don't like the "my way or the high way" approach.

9) I do like the benevolence they they perform.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

1 .perhaps other universes? i'm not an astrophysicist, so i'm not sure

2 .same as any other planet, as a star forms, there is leftover material which forms planets

3 .an animal capable of advanced thought and speech, thanks to a frontal lobe...

4 .they stop functioning

5 .we can't, we can only work off of principles that we have, and hope for the best...

6 .mostly by feeling, but also partially by how my actions will affect others

7 .history is just memory of things that have happened, life is significant in that it's not able to be reproduced by us, yet...

8 . it's a bit annoying sometimes, and it's affects on humans can be VERY bad, but usually i don't have a huge problem with it..

9 . they sure can organize...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.