What does a community bank need to do to be seen as 'authenticly' engaging with its community.

If my bank wanted to be seen to be really engaging, helping, supporting its local community what would you like to see it do. Not just as a gimmick or PR stunt, but what could we do that would be valued and long lasting?

Favorite Answer

Treat everyone the same according to their credit history. Don't make illegal special rate loans to pacify the supporters of certain groups. That nearly ruined one bank that I can think of. Treat all customers with dignity and respect. Have fast friendly service and the best rates and lowest fees in the area. Word will get around.

I have to say that this is one of the more intelligent, informed questions I've seen since creating my profile.

I would say that the bank should participate in events that are for helping others and/or organizations. Also, supporting small and local businesses would be a good thing to do.

Sponsor activities for children. Host fairs where children can receive free screening for various illnesses and conditions. Things like that. I work across the street from Compuware and they always host things like that.