Does this sound familiar?

This appeared on the Editorial Page of the Richmond (VA) Times-Dispatch July 7, 2008.

Editor, Times-Dispatch

Each year I get to celebrate Independence Day twice. On June 30th, I celebrate my independence day and on July 4th, I celebrate America 's. This year is special because it marks the 40th anniversary of my independence.

On June 30, 1968, I escaped Communist Cuba and a few months later I was in the United States to stay. That I happened to arrive in Richmond on Thanksgiving Day is just part of the story, but I digress.

I've thought a lot about the anniversary this year. The election-year rhetoric has made me think a lot about Cuba and what transpired there. In the late 1950's, most Cubans thought Cuba needed a change, and they were right. So when a young leader came along, every Cuban was at least receptive.

When the young leader spoke eloquently and passionately and denounced the old system, the press fell in love with him. They never questioned who his friends were or what he really believed in. When he said he would help the farmers and the poor and bring free medical care and education to all, everyone followed. When he said he would bring justice and equality to all, everyone said 'Praise the Lord'. And when the young leader said, 'I wil be for change and I'll bring you change, everyone yelled, 'Viva Fidel!'

But nobody asked about the change, so by the time the executioner' s guns went silent, the people's guns had been taken away. By that time everyone was equal; they were equally poor, hungry, and oppressed. By the time everyone received their free education, it was worth nothing. By the time the press noticed, it was too late because they were now working for him. By the time the change was finally implemented, Cuba had been knocked down a couple of notches to Third-World status. By the time the change was over, more than a million people had taken to boats, rafts, and inner tubes. You can call those who made it ashore anywhere else in the world the most fortunate Cubans. And now I'm back to the beginning of my story.

Luckily, we would never fall in America for a left leaning young leader who promised change without asking: What change? How will you carry it out? What will it cost America?

Would we?

Manuel Alvarez, Jr.

Sandy Hook, VA

OKAY EVERYONE.

TAKE NOTICE. THIS IS A QUOTE THAT I POSTED. NOT SOMETHING I WROTE.

THE VERY FACT THAT THE OBAMA SUPPORTERS ARE BARFING BACK AT ME GOES TO SHOW HOW OVERLY SENSITIVE THEY ARE ABOUT THEIR WONDER BOY.

IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN A SIMPLE YES OR NO WITHOUT RHETORIC. ESPECIALLY DIRECTED AT ME.

Bad Day:

I know you have said many times you intend on voting for Obama, and that is your right.

Unfortunately, people who support him can't see past his candor and eloquence to see him as the true anti capitalist that he and his policies represent.

Anti capitalist is pure communist in my book.

Favorite Answer

Yes. My stepfather is Cuban. He defected and worked for the USA Army as a surgeon. Then went into private practice. He is a very intelligent man who knows communism to well. He Definitely will not vote for Obama and neither will I because he has taught me to use my brain and never to follow the pack blindly because the leader is usually blind.

it sounds like a guy who's comparing Obama to a communist. It's familiar because it happens here every day.

Now, for the actual content of the letter (and for the record I am Cuban. My father also left Cuba in the 1960's)...

Castro-era cubans in America tend to be overly suspicious of communists in our government (not without reason). When Clinton was elected, I had relatives who were certain he was a communist. However, the similarities are typically superficial. In this case, it is because Obama promises change and because of his youth.

If that's the criteria for being a communist, then I suppose I am a communist. I'm 27 and I think our government needs change (after the last 8 years, how could you argue otherwise?).

The individual who wrote this fails to realize that change is possible without resorting to communism, that youth is not a bad thing in a leader. Kennedy was "young" when he was elected, too.

More importantly, he implys that because it happened in Cuba, it will happen here. The circumstances are very different, our nation is very different from pre-Castro Cuba.

Sadly, many conservative Cubans have forgotten that, and now resort to the politics of fear to argue their points (using the spectre of Cuban Communism) just as communist regimes do to foster unity in their lands.

Source(s): son of a Cuban immigrant turned American citizen.

yup it's called wet foot dry foot and why I own land in Canada and have a passport, for you see Cuba was not the first country fooled by the likes of an Obama type and will not be the last unfortunately, but because you are aware of the possibility of it happening even in this great country you should prepare yourself my friend just in case////

• manca

Very...it appears like something Eleanor Louise might write...and this caricature sounds like they are arguing over something stupid, even nonetheless it fairly is precisely what gay/bi human beings pass with the aid of as a results of fact it fairly is not their selection..

No we wouldn't. Luckily, Obama has made his intentions for specific positive change clear!

You don't agree that we need change? The dollar is weak. The economy is in a horrible decline. The power of America is on a decline. I'd say, yes. We need a change for the better.

However, if you don't agree. Thats fine.

Some of want to see America remain a force in the world.

Yes it sounds familiar. Being that I live in Richmond, I read it when it came out in the paper.

Well said, thank you for bringing this to light and the old cliche, "history repeats itself". Hopfully it will repeat itself somewhere else. For I can't afford an intertube with the cost of gas around here.

Barack Obama Castro Marx must not be elected.

Don't be a cult member.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hO_eE21r8r4

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

There is a line in YA answers which I don't cross. It begins with absolutely inane, juvenile and stupid analogies and points to just barely stupid. I am not sure where this one goes. Do I respond. What is the point. Is it a troll or a serious work of non-fiction. I wrestle and wrestle in my brain.

"Brain Brain, what is Brain?"

-Star Trek, 'Spock's Brain'.

Let us suppose to take this person as serious. It would then be the duty of this person to show us how Barack Obama is unlike say, Clinton, and more like, say, Fidel Castro. Of course, he did not do this, because he cannot. If you look carefully at his definition of what is 'something like Castro' it appears to be someone who spoke well, and somewhat that did not describe his change. This of course, could fit a million politicians running for office. Reagan might come to mind. FDR, Kennedy, they all gave great speeches and were greatly admired. Robert Kennedy was also young.

Of course, Barack Obama tells you exactly how he will carry out his changes, you can read it in his website, so therefore, even Obama is not like the millions of 'Castro Like' politicians.

Indeed, Barack wants to unde the Bush administration's tax cuts. What a revolutionary, mind blowing scheme!

Barack wants to get us out of a war that killed 1 million Iraqis! Oh my god!

Barack wants to do something about the destruction of the entire world by Global Warming - whereas his opponent does not. Oh heavens!

McCain wants to kill another million or so Iranians, even though that country is no threat to us. Now, here we go. Perhaps McCain is your Castro.

McCain is for torture. Castro Again!

McCain is for spying on Americans. CASTRO! CASTRO! CASTRO BABY!

McCain is for getting rid of habeas corpus, and agress with Bush's 'Unitary Executive' theory which says that if the president does something, it is by definition legal, and when he does anything he thinks to protect the country he can break any law he sees fit. CASTRO!

So, my wonderful friends, what do you think?

• ac28

It's the reason my parents left Cuba, and it's my number one reason for not voting Obama.

Thank you for posting, maybe some people will open their eyes.