Is it safe to put wild caught guppies in a tank with three Fire Bellied frogs?

about a year ago i bout two frogs, a month later my dad bought two more. one frog died of unknown reason. me and my dad did not worry about it because we thought it died of old age. a week later we caught about 33 wild guppies. 11 fish died of stress. 2 weeks later 5 fish died. again, we thought it was stress. a month later all were doing fine until one baby guppy died. it was really healthy and chased off the bigger fish for food (i put in plenty of food for all). then i started getting worried. i asked my dad if it was safe to put in poisoness frogs and wild guppies that were born and raised in a ditch near a busy street. he said yes, but he has been wrong so many times. so is the poison from the frogs killing my fish?

Best Answer

It may not just be the poison from the frog, it could be the PH balance of the water. This could be the reason that the fish are going so quickly.

Honestly though, taking the wild fish out of the habitat could be the main reason that the fish are dying off. These particular fish were not breed to live in a contained environment. Unlike the ones in pet stores whch are specifically breed to survive in tanks.

Did you do them wrong by taking them out? I would honestly say No. They are guppies... natures snack food. You could have extended their lives by months.

My best suggestion would be to just let nature take It's course. If the frog has not eaten these fish by now, they can live in the tank until they all go. if you want to ease the comfort of your fish, use some stress coat in the tank.

Good Luck!

The stocking is not your problem; it's your tank. Get a ten-gallon, cycle it with Biospira, and pop your fish in there. Also check your frog and makes SURE it's not an African Clawed Frog. (Pick up a small test kit also so you can check the levels of ammonia and such in your tanks, the liquid kits work better than the strips.) Upgrading the tank size should solve most of your problems as the fish and frog are likely feeling extremely crowded. If it does not, you'll have your three-gallon to fall back on and move your betta to.