Do you believe physician assisted suicides are morally right or wrong?

Washington State now allows physician assisted suicides for state residents. Do you believe physician assisted suicides are morally right or wrong? Would you want to have that option for yourself?

Best Answer

I would want the option. I've watched patients in the process of dying where no medication can relieve their discomfort. It's obviously difficult on them, it's difficult on their families, and it's difficult on the medical staff who are caring for them. I might need to check the Washington law, as concerns have always been raised about non-terminal patients being given the option.

Physician assisted suicide in it's simple form would be morally right, to relieve someone who is terminally ill from terrible pain and a prolonged horrible death.

However there are so many variables to this I'm not sure it could ever be as simple as 'this person is in pain and wants to end life early'. For example what if someone feels they are a burden to family and that is the real reason they choose to die? What if there is a life insurance policy and they feel that by dieing sooner they are helping those that live on? Or in a worse case scenerio what if the family wanted the life insurance and persuaded that family member to die sooner? What if the person is incapacitated and can not say for themselves?

I think there is a whole list of things that would come into question when it comes to assisted suicide, some children have terminal cancer, at what age do you get to decide that you want to die?

I'm not sure there is any need for assisted suicide any longer with hospice around, with hospice you can take as much pain medication as you want until the pain goes away or you are knocked out, so that seems to solve the problem right there.

I agree, 'active euthanasia' is not a proper definition for what we're discussing. Voluntary euthanasia is more accurate. Regarding both voluntary euthanasia and physician assisted suicide, I also see no moral differences. The wishes of the patient are being carried out by a licensed physician who is willing to participate. I feel, terminally ill patients especially, should be able to make those decisions for themselves. For physicians who hold the same philosophy and are willing to participate the same rule should apply.

Pain and suffering can drive a person to near insanity, and possibly the desire for death. But truthfully, suicide in itself is morally wrong. Even the most afflicted beings on this earth have great potential. Of course, ending their lives ends all earthly potential for the being. As it stands, many suicide attempts are failures. Giving someone a surefire way of killing themselves encourages suicide that is guaranteed to work. Thus, it is terribly wrong, not only morally, but all in all it is completely wrong. I don't want that option available to me, because i might be tempted to use the option, and I know logically suicide is unnecessary. That being said, I don't want my logic to be overcome by blind desire.

Yes, I would. If I'm in pain, been ill for years, and there's no hope for me, I'd love someone, a professional doctor, help me departure from this world peacefully by falling asleep. Therefore, assisted suicides are not morally wrong.

• FTW

As a person who lives with constant pain, I think it's a great thing and it should be allowed everywhere. Who the heck is anyone else to judge what I (or anyone else) is feeling and dealing with on a daily basis?? No one should have the right to control what another does with her/his life, and long as no one else is being harmed.

Morally right. I would want to have that option for myself. Of course strict guideliness would be necessary.

• Is it not more, brave, corageous even, to face the pain and live? Wouldn't it be cowardly to escape the pain and not face it as we're meant to?

What I'm saying is, to die and escape is a cowardly choice. To live and suffer is brave.

-Telepathetic Out

• Zeera

Yes, I believe it's right.

I'd want the help available.