Do any atheists WANT to be the president of the USA?

I know the question "Would America elect an atheist president" is thrown around a lot but honestly, atheists are atheists because we think for ourselves and that is the very think America stands against.

Setting aside the fact that the president is really only a figure-head and real power actual lies in the interest of big business and banking institutions...

So my question is simple:

Atheists, would you even want to run this place any how?

I am sure there have been closet-atheists, but I am not sure we can count them.

Ryan P, the point of this question is asking atheists if they actually want to be the president of a debauched nation such as this. Not whether one could be elected.

• Favorite Answer

I personally don't, but that's because I know I could never possibly be qualified even in my dreams. It has nothing to do with my agnosticism.

As someone else pointed out, let's get a few more of our kind in Congress because until and unless we have some more nonbelievers in Congress (or at least folks who don't think the word "god" needs to be bandied about constantly), an atheist president will have a tough time of it.

As far as I know, John Adams was not an atheist. Jefferson was supposedly a deist; he believed in Jesus' existence, but not his divinity.

The disastrous administration that has ravaged our freedom and our international reputation for nearly 8 years has caused many to forget that the role of the US President is to exercise influence, not power.

If we look back to our High School Government text books, they would remind us that the US President is to be a figure-head; The chief citizen chosen to represent us at home and abroad. The oval office was never meant to house the unified leader of the military and King of the land (as was Hitler during the disastrous third reich).

In conclusion, I doubt any athiest would really want to swear on the bible and spend four years vetoing terrible legislation by a congress so deeply infected by theology. The firestorm it would take to cleanse this diseased entity would make sodom and gommorah seem like a fourth of july fireworks display.

Christianity versus Atheism is a stupid distinction. All that matters is what man does and how he benefits from it. Besides, running a big country like the US takes a godlike perspective, unless you just want to sit back and run it by ear or let things run by themselves.

As for me, christianity is corrupt and atheism sucks. No -ism is what I stand for. Gosh, am I an individualist? Or maybe God? Hm..

..Bingo!

Here's what I think is the case. We are all God. Whether plant animal or man, satanist, buddhist or whateverist, really makes no difference. It is Creation experiencing Itself as separate individuals, more or less cut off from the Great Consciousness (of God, if you like).

I believe that there are many gods, each evolving by trial & error, creating many worlds. Many truths of many beliefs. Gods screw up sometimes like we do, and then try to fix.

Christianity (whatever it has become to mean by now) may have worked for a while; atheism (whatever it means) may work or not for who knows how long. But then what?

Your consciousness visits a space and time where the US used to be and smiles at this question.

• ?

i'd yet i'm atheist so i'm biased. LOL. as a remember of shown truth that folk would favor to have all people else than an atheist interior the oval workplace. They see as as evil those with out moral and picture in basic terms because we do not carry to a faith that we will no longer honor our commitments.

Auzziegob will take up the cudgel !

And when elected,the first new bill to be drafted is a ban all godgobbing and a an immediate closure of all the godgobbers joints of gathering !

There could be one or two out there who would want to. Personally I think there should be more of our presence in Congress before taking on the White House.

I'm sure there's an Atheist somewhere who would aspire to be the President of the United States.

Do I wish to be the president myself? No. My interests lie outside of politics.

I'm sure we've HAD atheist presidents.

It would've been unpopular to make this view known publicly, but I'm sure there have been atheist presidents already.

Jefferson and Adams were almost atheists, according to much of their writings.

I think Obama would be an atheist, if he wasn't afraid that his wife would slap the taste out of his mouth.

America is a theocracy, in a practical sense, "Theocracy is a form of government in which a 'god' or 'deity' is recognized as the supreme civil ruler." But you said "want". I think atheists would want to run the place, in order to fix it up. But they will not get the chance, because americans seem to only vote for leaders who are christians, for the top job.

I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

And of course, there are MANY politicians who are atheist/agnostic, but do not admit it because they know they cannot get elected. The US political system needs to be re-done