Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Can someone help me with a book?

Hi. I'm 14 years old and i consider myself a writer.

I don't understand what's happened to kids even my age these days. I was in the general classes for my 8th grade and I felt oh so out of place.I was the only person that read for fun. most of the kids in my class wouldnt pick up a book to save their lives. To avoid this i joined AP classes so hopefully I can avoid the frustration of describing a situation as heart wrenching and having people look at me like I'm crazy.

The reason I'm writing this question is I recently started writing a book. My Language Arts teacher set up an author visit with a professor of her's at a college. The professor was a writer so my teacher thought she could teach me about publicition of a book I had previousally been experimenting with. This author crushed my dream. She preached only that I was all too young and that if I chose to persue my "crazy dream" I would be sentenced to a life only known for my first book and the low quality (if it was so) that it held. I was utterly hummiliated. At the end of the year I started another book and I have been working on it sense.

I read the Twilight series after I had started and now I hear the word Twilight all too much. All the hype sometimes kills me. The feeling my books will never amount to this standard Twilight seemingly set so high. I was wondering if i could have some help. Please dont steal my ideas because i have worked so hard for this and it is my dream to be published and reconized for my work. The book hopefully will be called The Link or Thirst (Any better ideas please let me know) My book is about vampires (arent they all?) The character moves to italy and finds she is the last link between vampires and humans who are forced to assimilate together. With the help of an Italian vampire, Marcello, (they are in love) she must stop a war from errupting and wiping out the human race.

If anyone has any comments or opinions or any help they can offer please do. I would love to get published and help with that is welcome also. Please help.

does anyone have title ideas?

I was thinking Thirst or The Link but I need options please.

Btw: if you have a title make sure it sounds good as if it were a movie. Thats my other goal, to make it a movie before I leave Highschool.

Best Answer

That's so awesome.

U know what? I'm in the same situation as u are!

I'm 14, and love writing. My dream is to become an author, and one day have a movie based off my books!

in eigth grade, I was usually the only one reading...every1 else would talk and fool around.

Maybe something more interesting for the title? I like Thirst better than the link. But maybe something unusual...like...Midnight Moon...or Scarlet Sky...or Dark Chaos (but I could totally see Thrist as a title!).

If you want, give me an email at betafish15@yahoo.ca

I maybe could help you with stories ideas and stuff, and you could help me (I always get stuck in the middle of writing, I'm better at the begining and end). Or we could just talk about different stories ideas and stuff.

Don't listen to what anyone tells you, that author was abviously discouraging you! You can do it, and I can do it. I'd try again and again...never give up 'till you make it!

PS, good luck!

It's really sad when "professionals" come across as too busy to care about someone else's work or altogether trash the writing and the writer's confidence. There will be people like that along the way. Ignore them. Write the best you can and pursue those so-called "crazy" dreams. Everyone has "crazy" dreams at some point. Some of those people actually pursue them no matter what anyone says. Case in point, I recently saw the play "Les Mis" (am I like the only person who hadn't seen it before? Haha.), and afterward I read on wikipedia that everyone trashed Victor Hugo's book. Unbelievable! Whether the plot was accurate for the time or he was a sympathizer of the revolutionaries, there are some very good concepts about humanity in the play. My point is that no matter what anyone says about you or your writings, stay confident and focused. Any changes you make, make them because you chose to change or improve something based on how you believe your plots should be. A little off topic, but bear with me. In the Bible, Paul tells Timothy "Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity" (1 Timothy 4:12). My point: don't let anyone despise you or your writings because of your age. It's possible to have a "screw you" attitude without being conceited.

I have no interest in writing about vampires--ever--and would never steal someone's work. That's just plain wrong, and I'd hate it if someone did that to me. I'm good at the mechanics of English. If you'd like costructive criticism/advice about your story I'm willing to help.

• 1Up

I started many books as a teenager, and I wish I had had some sort of guidance.

Don't you believe that nasty old professor. It sounds like she is all bitter because she did not acheive everything she dreamed of so she wants to crush your dream.

I would tell you, however that if you are doing a vampire novel, it needs to be unusual, not your hum-drum TYPICAL vampire story. Add your own unique things to it.

You need the element of surprise, have unexpected twists in your plot. Under-exposing is NOT your enemy at all. In fact, the reader really needs to know the characters as the novel closes, but you can keep character secrets secret, and then reveal clues to their pasts, without revealing them in full, and reveal them later. That intrigues the reader far more than having the main character's life story blurted out in the first chapter.

Each chapter needs to have the reader asking questions, wanting to find out more. Remember, they do not NEED to read your novel. People will not read your book as a favour to you. You must draw them through by dangling verbal carrots; so that they simply cannot put the book down, because they need to find out what happens next, or hear what it is that Marcello has to say that is so ground-breaking, or find out what happened to make her (the character) so closed off as a person. (or whatever)

Good luck!

Hmmm. Let me think on the title for you, I may give a suggestion... let me sit on it a while. :-)

Edit:

I will throw out some ideas; maybe you can use them, or they will be basis of something.

1. The Prowling

2. Hunters in the night

3. The Tuscan Darkening (or wherever in Italy you are setting it); the darkening referring to the growing attitudes of war.

How is she a link? Is she a half-breed? Is she a sorceress who can cross between realms? Are these magical vampires, or scientific vampires? Do they live on Earth or something like a dark version of Avalon?

Is she to be some sort of ambassador or mediator? How is she the link?

I am asking that because it could help with choosing your title. You do not need to answer me directly, but think about it for yourself. :-)

Good luck.

• Quifta

You go girl! I love reading and when I was in 9th grade, I felt the same way. I'd ask my friends if they liked reading and they would either say no or they loved/love Twilight.

Twilight is only a best seller, it doesn't make it good. Ask your self. Would I rather have a badly written book and become best seller or have well written book and not sell as well?

I like the title and I don't have anything to add.

Oh by the way, just because the author told said you were too young doesn't mean you are. The best thing you can do is prove her wrong!

Tell me how things are going with the book by the way. I'm trying to write stories, not a book but I'm getting there. lol.

GOOD LUCK AND YOU GO GIRL!

dream. She preached only that I was all too young and that if I chose to persue my "crazy dream" I would be sentenced to a life only known for my first book and the low quality (if it was so) that it held. I was utterly hummiliated. At the end of the year I started another book and I have been working on it sense.

I read the Twilight series after I had started and now I hear the word Twilight all too much. All the hype sometimes kills me. The feeling my books will never amount to this standard Twilight seemingly set so high. I was wondering if i could have some help. Please dont steal my ideas because i have worked so hard for this and it is my dream to be published and reconized for my work. The book hopefully will be called The Link or Thirst (Any better ideas please l

I can't beleive that horrible author told you NOT to follow your dream!! She's probably just worried about competition! You really have some good ideas there. My advice, go for your dreams!! I hope your book gets published so i can read it. I am also amazed at how the students in my class don't read. Reading is one of the most eluding and fufilling pastimes ever! I'm 13 and read alot too! I'm also in the process of writing a book, but am very far behind. GO FOR YOUR DREAMS!!

Mm. I don't really know what to say. Except, you inspire me. I really understand what your saying here. I'm 13 and I love to read. Half the people, no, way more than half the people in my class hate to read. They think I'm a freak for having a book with me all the time. I am fortunate enough to have some friends who really enjoy reading, though.

I also love to write. I always have. I haven't started writing a book. Though I want to, and I've started countless stories. But never had enough will or creativity to finish the story.

Stephanie Meyer also inspires me, though. I really like Twilight. Not only because it has a very sweet and not to mention hot vampire (okay so that is a great part of why it's amazing) but because Meyer has the ability to make her characters really come to life. She can change her writing style so drastically compared to whose point of view she is writing from.

Anyways, don't let the author get you down. It sounds like you have a lot more will than me, and some authors spend years trying to get their books published. You just have to keep trying. Don't give up. :)

I don't really know if I help you much. Most of this was just a rant, but I hope I at least helped you a little. Just a tiny bit? Haha.

I'm very happy for you. It's amazing to see such a young girl try so hard for something like that. Usually kids wait until their last yearin high school. :)

I think you have what it takes to be a great author. You have a very advanced vocabulary.

But if that lady told you that, then maybe she is right. =/

But that doesnt mean u have to give up. Never let go of that dream. & I assure you it will happen. :)

Another thing you have to understand is that eventhough you love reading & you KNOW you are good.. it does NOT mean you are better than others.

Just because they dont like reading or doing things you like doing.. doesn't mean they are stupid.

I think you are smart.. but very immature.

So grow up a little & learn to accept others, too. :)

Good luck.

• Don't you dare listen to that jealous *****!! I totally think she was jealous of you,probably b/c 1)you probably have written a very good book so far 2)you've realized your dream at an early(ish) age,and she probably wishes she had realized what she had wanted to do in life at a young(ish) age. She also probably didn't want your competition,b/c she was afraid you will become very famous and well known for your 1st book,and she probably knew you are a great writer,too. I bet her book isn't well known,is it? She just doesn't want you to surpass her. She was definitly jealous! I think it sounds like a great book,and I'm gonna read it when it comes out! I like The Link as the title the best.

Also,cud u maybe help me out with mine?I'm thinking of writing a manga,and want to know what other people think of it. I haven't asked the Q yet,but I cud tell you when I've asked it,or I cud just add u to my contacts,and if u wud like to see the Q,you cud add me to yours maybe? I'm not trying to get people to be my contact,I'd just like you to comment on what u think of it!(Btw,I'm usin a phone for this,so I can't post a link:( I definitely would if I could,though!)

But do NOT let anyone tell you to stop writing and give up,cuz they're just stupid a$$es!! Also,I don't know if you wud like to,but if you want to,cud you send me part of the book you're writing?it wud be so cool to see it!and don't worry,I am NOT trying to steal your idea or book,I swear to God! If anyone does try to,Ill kick their a$$es. You don't have to send a copy if you don't want to!!!

Keep writing!!

edit:ok,I'm such an idiot,I forgot to tell u why I wanted u to add me 2 ur contacts.its so if I ask a Q,then u can see I asked the question about me writing the manga,but I've decided that I shudnt cuz I don't want some1 to steal my idea

i think you and i are the same person. haha.

im 14 and am writing a book as well. i LOVE reading. always have, and all my friends make fun of me for it. but i dont care anymore. dont let that bother you. and, about what that author said to you, just forget it. dont let her have anything to do with your dreams. dont let her tell you what you can and cant do.

before you go into having your book published, make sure you have more than one person read it. preferrably people who like reading, and ones who wont pretend to pay attention to it. so then they can tell you what might need to be changed.

and i would love to help you with the title, but, since i havent read the book, i dont think i can. my advice on that is to re-read a part in the book where your two main characters (the ones that are in love) are talking. and pull out a word or a short phrase and use that as your title.

good luck! i hope you acheive all of your dreams.

and, about the twilight thing. i have to admit, i am i twilight fanatic. but, i think you should make it your personal goal to have your book(s) one up how successful the twilight series ends up being. if you tell yourself you cant acheive it, it makes it much less likely. but if you think you can, it makes your chances much greater.