Which banks offer a checking account without US identification?

I have a US non-immigrant work visa and need to open a bank account for my pay checks etc. I do not have a social security number or US identification. Which banks offer a checking account without requiring these?

Favorite Answer

Bank of America

I opened a bank account with Chase bank last year when I was in the USA on holidays. All I had to do was show them my passport.

This year I moved to the USA with a Non-immigrant work visa. The first thing you have to do is get a Social Securty number, by going to SS and showing them your visa and passport. Your employer is not allowed to pay you any wages until you have the number. Fortunately it only takes less than a week to be processed.

sad but true. I've seen it happen. Immigration in the US is a joke. Illegals have more rights than legal immigrants and visa holders. I lived in the US for 8 years, my whole family speak English fluently, I hold a PhD degree. However because my work visa could not be renewed and I couldn't find any loophole in the law, fake wife, or wanted to stay in the country illegally, I ended up having to leave the country my kids learned to love. We all felt at home up there (contrary to some who live in ghettos and only speak their native language) and respected the US law while the global scumbags that will probably get an amnesty in a near future will benefit from their law breaking strategies. They will find defenders who say "they work hard and pay taxes" so let me tell you all this: I did the same PLUS under the law and because of that people like me is being punished. This sucks! I'm now well adjusted back in my country but I know my kids wish they were still there. Maybe, who knows, they will go back someday but I'll make sure they take no passports, produce fake ID's and SSN's and don't forget to go in a makeshiftboat ride or cross a desert so they can be more successful.....

No American banks legally offer to open accounts to persons without ID. Under the Bank Secrecy Act ("BSA") as amended by the USA PATRIOT ACT, banks are required to have in place CIP (Customer Identification Programs) and will gather what they call KYC (Know Your Customer) information. That means, they will require ID.

If you legally have a job, just go with your visa and your passport to any American bank and you should be able to open an account.

If you have a valid work visa, you *do* have an SSN--you can't work without it.