bbcd asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

should i get a lab, alaskan malamute, border collie, or australian shepherd and why?

im thirteen and im finally allowed to get a dog but i cant decide between a black or brown lab, alaskan malamute, border collie, or an australian shepherd. my dog will have to be an outside dog. it will need to be heat and cold tolerant. and be able to be alone for up to 8 hours a day. i am able to give my dog up to 2-3 hours of excersize a day. i am also very responsible and will be able to care for my own dog. can anyone give me an answer and explain why?

• Favorite Answer

I do not believe that an Alaskan Malamute is the dog for you. They are not heat tolerant as they came form a colder climate further more though they are a VERY dominant breed. Unless you know about dog behaviour and dog training THIS IS NOT THE DOG FOR YOU. They are breed for heavy freighting hence the are very strong and I doubt very much you will be able to manage a dog like that. Theay need tons of socialisation every day and a very thought through dog training regime. Malamutes are very vocal so left alone in the back yard they will howl and I don't know how your neighbours will tolerate a howling dog all day.

Personally I believe from the breeds you mentioned a Lab will be the ideal choice.

Source(s): 15 years of Alaskan Malamute ownership.

Alaskan Malamute Australian Shepherd Mix

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

im thirteen and im finally allowed to get a dog but i cant decide between a black or brown lab, alaskan malamute, border collie, or an australian shepherd. my dog will have to be an outside dog. it will need to be heat and cold tolerant. and be able to be alone for up to 8 hours a day. i am able...

Source(s): lab alaskan malamute border collie australian shepherd why: https://shortly.im/RR4jF

I can tell you now you cant handle a Border Collie or a Aussie.

Mainly because they need around 3 hours a day of extreme exercize, and the rest of the day they need mind-training. They are SMART dogs and need the brain food. They are also very needy and always want attention and love. They can NOT be alone outside for long periods of time, or they will get bored.

I dont know about Labs or Malamutes.

For your first dog a well breed and trained Black Lab can't be beat. He will be your best friend and be a wonderful well rounded companion. I would not recommend an Alaskan Malamute for a first dog as they can be trouble makers at times.

When you do get a dog, train, train, train! Go to classes and work outside of class,there is nothing more fun than working as a team everyday. I have my new Malamute in agility class besides obedience. I have never had so much fun with my dog as in agility.

Source(s): Fourteen years of Alaskan Malamutes.

I tend to agree with the others on this one. I have a Border/Aussie mix and believe me when I tell you... They require just about ALL of your attention ALL of the time. She is a good match for us only because that's what we were after. I'd say the Lab is the best match for you. Then again I'm no expert, although they are much easier than the other 3 choices you mentioned.

I can only say what not to get- do not get the australian shepherd. They need more attention than just being stuck outside. I have 2 that run my household. They want to be part of the family and keep an eye on everyone. The are amazing dogs, but don't get one unless you can give them the attention they deserve or you will both just be miserable.

For a farm dog a would say neither but if I had to choose I would say German Shepherd. I like Siberian Husky a lot more but I don't think it would be such a good farm dog.

id say a black lab because they are extremly cute , amazing gaurd dogs , very very friendly , love to swim for exercise , and one of the easyest dogs to train . i tought my yello lab to do a backflip and almost catch a tennis ball while doing it.

and cute name could be slurpee or some thing like that.

Source(s): love pets 1 yello lab 1 beagle and 1 golden retriever

Go for the Lab!

They're great family dogs, learn fast, great with kids and will follow you to the ends of the earth.

:)