Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 1 decade ago

Switching phone plans on T-Mobile...

I have a Sidekick Slide from T-Mobile that I recently stopped using (I got a Verizon Voyager instead, T-Mobile's service blew), and I was going to pay the early termination fee and sell the phone. However, my sister has shown interest in the phone, but she wants a different plan for it than what I had. The plan is the same price as the one I'm on now, so I was wondering if it was possible to switch the plan to what she wants without having to pay any kind of fee. I'd much rather avoid the early termination fee and just give her the phone on the plan she wants if this is possible. If anyone knows anything about this, help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Thanks a lot for the quick response, but do you have any idea how much that fee might be? It won't be the same amount as the early termination fee will it? I'm not sure she wants to pay $200 simply to switch the plan over even when T-Mobile isn't losing any money on the deal, and we're not canceling our plan, only changing it.

Thank you both for your help, you've told me everything I needed to know. It's greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

The Bottom Line:

There are two ways to do this.

1) Perform a transfer of service. Have you and your sister get on the phone with T-Mobile and transfer the entire line over to your sister's name. They will have to run a credit check on her but this is the best way to do it, considering it's free for both of you and get's the entire stress of the line off your back. Plus, if she fails to make payment, it won't affect your credit.

2) If your sister doesn't have credit or doesn't want the line in her name. Simply give the phone to your sister and call to have the plan changed according to your sis's needs. There WILL NOT BE A FEE for changing plans. The only thing you MAY see are some pro-rations for switching plans mid-way through a billing cycle.

Also make sure your contract isn't renewed for two years when you switch plans. You should not HAVE to do this.

Source(s): employee

You're definetly gonna have a fee. SO sell your sister the phone with the plan that you have, then when the phone's in her name she can change the plan by herself,and that saves you money and your sister get's what she wants.