promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
jessica p asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

how do i no when my doe is ready for breeding?

how do i no when my doe is ready for breeding?

i have a 6 month old doe and i want to no when she is ready

i no she can breed when she is 5/6 month but how can i tell she is ready to take care of her own litter??

please help me i dont want her to kill then all or her to die if she is not ready so please can you help me

thankyou

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Most rabbit breeds reach maturity around 6-8 months. Generally, it is about 6 months for the smaller breeds and 8 months for larger breeds.

It is best to start breeding right around 6 months of age. However, if you cannot breed her right away, definitely try to do it by the age of 1 year old.

A rabbit who is bred for the first time after they're over a year old can have problems concieving and also carrying and delivering a litter.

To check and see if your rabbit is ready to breed, turn her onto her back and check her vent area. If it is very light, pale pink, she is not ready. Wait until the vent is darker purplish/red, which is a sign that she is ready to breed.

Whether or not your doe is prepared to take care of her own litter is a trial and error kind of deal. MOST rabbits are very good with their babies and will take excellent care of them without much human aid. However, there are also some that want nothing to do with their litters and won't take good care of them. If you find that this is the case, it is best to STOP breeding that doe, sell her as a pet, and start over with a new doe. It seems that mothering techniques seem to move on through the generations, whether it is genetics or simply how they're brought up- I don't know. But bad mothering techniques is not something you want to pass on to future generations.

All that being said, BEFORE you breed, please consider a few things:

1. Why you want to breed. Breeding for pets or "just once" to experience a litter is not a good reason. There are a lot of homeless rabbits out there waiting for homes, and by breeding irresponsibly, you will only add to that population. Responsible breeders are breeding selectively chosen, purebred, pedigreed rabbits in an effort to improve upon that rabbit's breed standard.

2. So, also consider which rabbits you are choosing to breed. Throwing together a random, mixed breed, Flopsy and Mopsy not only produces more mixed breed rabbits (again contributing to the already growing population of homeless rabbits), but it is also the perfect recipe for genetic defects, genetic health problems in the future, etc.

3. Very often, does who are bred get territorial and aggressive when they are pregnant and on a litter. And sometimes this behavior does not reverse once the babies are gone. Reputable breeders have done a good job culling this behavior, so it is bred out of most solid rabbit lines. However, some rabbits, especially mixed breeds, are still at risk for showing these signs. If this rabbit is your pet (purebred or not), consider whether you really want to risk your cuddly pet for a territorial breeding doe.

4. Breeding also puts both the doe and babies at risk. Babies die frequently for many different reasons, but there are rare occasions in which breeding the doe can be fatal too. This is a risk that all breeders take, so you have to make sure you are prepared for the consequences, if they should arrive. Just like with humans, there are no guarantees that both doe and litter will make it through the pregnancy every time. A lot of rabbits go through it just fine, but it would be sad if your rabbit was just a pet, and it happened to be one of the few with complications. So just something to consider.

As long as you are breeding two purebred, pedigreed rabbits whose breed standards compliment each other, I do encourage you to join us in the world of breeding and showing. But if not, please reconsider...for the rabbit's sake and yours. :)

Source(s): HLRSC breeder
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Susan
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Never http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rabcare.htm...

You don't have a guarantee of not killing her or the babies unless you don't breed.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.