When you were young did you ever participate in your county 4H Club?

If so, what did you exibit? Was it a positive or negative experience for you? What lessons did you learn from the experience? Did your children or grandchildren also participate in 4H? Our local fair just ended today. My oldest daughter was a 10 year member and my youngest daughter is currently an 8 year... show more If so, what did you exibit? Was it a positive or negative experience for you? What lessons did you learn from the experience? Did your children or grandchildren also participate in 4H?
Our local fair just ended today. My oldest daughter was a 10 year member and my youngest daughter is currently an 8 year member. They exibited in Sheep, Canine Obedience/Showmanship, Cats, and Fine Arts. When I was growing up, I also was a 10 year member in Swine, Dairy, Forestry and Photography. I learned a lot from the experience and my girls love it. Just curious what others feel about 4H activities.
Thanks.
Update: shermyne...yes, both of my girls cried a few years when they auctioned their animals but they survived. You can't help but get attached to an animal that you raise and work hard to exhibit but you always have the option not to sell the animal and take it home. You will still complete your project. Many... show more shermyne...yes, both of my girls cried a few years when they auctioned their animals but they survived. You can't help but get attached to an animal that you raise and work hard to exhibit but you always have the option not to sell the animal and take it home. You will still complete your project. Many children have earned quite a bit of their college money from the auctions.
Update 2: ndnquah...got to agree with you. The big money project locally is beef. On show day there were at least 20 groomers brought in by parents to prep their child's cow for show. We wouldn't touch the beef project at all because it is such a money game. We raise our own sheep. Best my daughters did was a... show more ndnquah...got to agree with you. The big money project locally is beef. On show day there were at least 20 groomers brought in by parents to prep their child's cow for show. We wouldn't touch the beef project at all because it is such a money game. We raise our own sheep. Best my daughters did was a blue ribbon and that was okay with them. My youngest doesn't care what she gets in placing. She just loves to set up that animal and show it off to the judge. She tried her hand at shearing last year and is a natural. Was in big demand at the fair this year. The funniest story of money spent by a beef parent to insure that his daughter won Grand Champion was $22,000.00. The animal went lame and couldn't be shown.
Update 3: O2E...LOL....What a mental picture! Thanks for sharing, this really happens and I really feel your friends pain.

Alphahil....How awful! So sorry this happened.
Update 4: rubybenu...as a fellow Hoosier, here is a belated welcome to one of the best kept secret places to live, I feel. 24 yrs ago I married a city boy. 17 yrs ago we bought the farm I grew up on from my dad. He adapted well. For someone that never entered a animal barn as a child he is now the Assistant Sheep... show more rubybenu...as a fellow Hoosier, here is a belated welcome to one of the best kept secret places to live, I feel. 24 yrs ago I married a city boy. 17 yrs ago we bought the farm I grew up on from my dad. He adapted well. For someone that never entered a animal barn as a child he is now the Assistant Sheep Director here in the county we live in. He doesn't fit the stereotype of a farmer. Rides a motorcycle, long hair in a braid but earned the respect of many old time farmers here in our county. You are so correct, 4H is a wonderful experience for kids.