Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

fuel pump location for a 2002 Chevy Cavalier

Everything I read regarding the location of the fuel pump of my 2002 Chevy Cavalier states that it is located inside the gas tank and that I need to drop the tank to replace it. However I did a search under the car to locate the tank and it appears the pump is outside and behind the tank. Why would my car be any different from other 2002 Chevy Cavaliers and how do I ensure getting the right pump for my car?

Best Answer

The fuel pump on EVERY modern car is INSIDE the tank. If you drop the tank you will see it because its right in the middle. I guarantee you absolutely CAN NOT SEE the pump unless you drop the tank. I also guarantee your car is no different than any other Cavalier or any other modern car in this regard.

Source(s): Shop manager, veteran of several hundred fuel pump replacements

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Everything I read regarding the location of the fuel pump of my 2002 Chevy Cavalier states that it is located inside the gas tank and that I need to drop the tank to replace it. However I did a search under the car to locate the tank and it appears the pump is outside and behind the tank. Why would...

Source(s): fuel pump location 2002 chevy cavalier: https://tr.im/5Fj85

I am sure nobody modified a fuel tank in an 02 Cavalier. Probably what you saw on the outside was the filter. Drop the tank and you will see the cover for the fuel pump on the top.

02 Chevy Cavalier

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avm8N

turn key strong crank...it,s not turning over??....if your starter is engaging and your engine is cranking...it is turning over..just not starting. fuel pump should run a few seconds then stop when primed. is this what it is doing? if so..there is an obstruction or kink in the feed line. a vacuum lock in the tank [ bad fuel cap] would give you at least a small amount of fuel in an open line situation. there is the possibility that the collision sensor has cut off your fuel flow but this is unlikely. you have detailed your question very well and is refreshing to answer a well structured question. best of luck!

• ACE

Your fuel pump is definitely inside the tank and the tank must be removed to replace it. The correct pump can be identified by application. I STRONGLY recommend buying a Delco pump and changing both the strainer (in tank) and the in-line filter (this is why your pump failed). Soak the tank strap bolts thoroughly with PB Blaster first so they come out o.k.

Good luck.

Source(s): 20+ years ASE

02 Cavalier

• D2

MOST ALL FUEL PUMPS ARE IN THE FUEL TANKS NOW DAYS,NO YOUR CAR SHOULD BE THE SAME AS THE REST UNLESS SOMEONE HAS PUT AN EXTERNAL PUMP ON IT,WHICH IS UNLIKLY..WHAT MAKES YOU THINK THAT YOURS IS MOUNTED ON THE OUTSIDE?CAN YOU HEAR IT MAKE NOISE LIKE IT IS PUMPING?DOES IT HAVE FUEL LINES RUNNING IN AND OUT OF IT GOING TO THE GAS TANK?

The pump is in the fuel tank, when you change please use a brass bar to remove the lock ring, never use metals that can spark when used on a fuel tank.

Source(s): 20 year tech

the pump on that one is in the tank,there's a filter outside the tank for it but the pump is in the gas tank,and it has to come down to get to it,good luck.

Source(s): been a certrified mechanic for 37 yrs.