Creationists, do you simply ignore the fact that Evolution is like Gravity in that they are both theories?

After all the only laws of gravity were written by Newton, and they are not widely accepted any longer. Even Einstein and Hawkings have their own theories about gravity.

Yet you accept gravity as if it were a law, which it's not.

Start here if you don't understand the difference between a hypothesis, a theorem and a theory;

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolution-fact.htm...

And if you are the kind of creationists that says "evolution is only a theory so it's just a guess" then I suggest further schooling. Say at the grade5 level. That's where most people learn about the basics of science. Clearly, most of you were asleep during those classes.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Evolution is fact. The hows, whens and whys is what 'theory' is. Please explain it properly to the creationists. Don't confuse them even more with inaccurate descriptions.

Evolution will never become a law, because it is not in it's nature to become scientific law. Scientific law only applies to something such as:

'If I throw this ball with *this much* force, and it has *this much* resistance acting against it, it will go *this far*'.

Evolution is too complex to become law, even though it *is* fact.

• 1 decade ago

Let's get a few facts down:

First--evolution=the change in allele frequencies (or types and percentages of traits) in a population over time.

That is the fact, or law, if you will, of evolution. There is no question of this fact--in every population ever investigated, this is the truth.

Second--scientific theories exaplain how (and in some cases why) observable facts occur. By doing so, they go one step further than the simple fact (or law) and help make predictions about future occurrences. Every successful theory has a certain amount of predictive power, and the more consistent that predictiveness, the better the theory.

With that out of the way...

"Gravity is not a theory, it is a law and one of the four fundamental forces in the universe accepted by the credible world of science."

>>That is simply not true. How does gravity work? Is it wave-like or particle like? The law of gravity only tells us that gravity exists, and what happens in the interaction between two objects--much like the law (or fact) of evolution. The theory of gravity explains the fact (or law)--and, by just about any standard, has much less evidence supporting it than the theory of evolution.

"What about evolution? Which theory is how it all happens?

Darwin's Gradualism

Punctuated Equilibrium

Synthetic Theory Of Evolution

They all must be better than fact because they are a theory. Even though the theories contradict one another they all must be true?"

>>Again, not correct--they don't contradict each other, at least not on the facts. I don't believe this poster knows what each of these "different" theories says. Both gradualism and punctuated equilibirum can both be true, under different circumstances. And both end with the same result. The Synthetic Theory is just what it claims--a synthesis of the two (and other) explanations, all of which are true (under different circumstances), and none of which contradict the fact. There's no need to build straw men to argue against.

"creationism is a theory to!"

>>No, not really. It is an untested (and untestable) hypothesis.

"Fact of the matter is, even with all the body parts looking alike, millions of mutations wouldn't have created the millions of cratures today."

>>No evidence supports this. In fact, just a few mutations can cause significant differences (and speciation events). Arguments from incredulity don't fly in science.

"Theories come and go...and Neo Darwinism is on its way out."

>>This has nothing to do with anything, and isn't even true. The theory of evolution is more accepted now than at any other time in history.

"OK, so gravity is a theory. It does NOT diminish the FACT that evolution has innumerable flaws and holes."

>>What are they? What are these "flaws and holes"? If they are innumberable, just give me your top two flaws or holes. Just out of curiosity...

"WHY do you insist that others beleive what you do.DO you doubt your convictions that much?

Is it more important to be right or HAPPY?

WHY do athiest who have no religion or spirituality COME into the religion and spirituality Group."

>>Ad hominems and straw men are logical fallacies, not arguing points. In other words, evolution =/= atheism.

Source(s): your friendly neighborhood skeptic
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

He's delusional. Unless he actually has a TARDIS, how could he possibly say that common descent is a known fact, 'the world's data'? Like many "scientists", he is evidently rather confused about the difference between data and hypothesis, between observing and theorising. He shows another thing that he's delusional about further on: "Yet amidst all this turmoil no biologist has been lead to doubt the fact that evolution occurred; we are debating how it happened." I was speaking only a few days ago to someone who had discounted evolution as a direct result of taking her degree in biology. So at least 1 biologist has - and given how few biologists I know, the fact that I know 1 suggests there are a lot more.

• 1 decade ago

Which theory of gravity do you subscribe to?

General Relativity

Brans-Dicke theory of gravity (1961)

Induced gravity (1967)

Modified Newtonian dynamics (MOND) (1981)

Self-creation cosmology theory of gravity (1982)

Nonsymmetric gravitational theory (NGT) (1994)

Since you know that theories are ways to explain the evidence, which one of these theories is the truth? They all are supported by the evidence and they all contradict each other in one way or another. Does that mean they are all true even when they contradict one another, since they are scientific theories?

What about evolution? Which theory is how it all happens?

Darwin's Gradualism

Punctuated Equilibrium

Synthetic Theory Of Evolution

They all must be better than fact because they are a theory. Even though the theories contradict one another they all must be true?

Call it what you like but a theory is just a way to try and explain what happened. They are still guesswork and not facts. I will stick with the Holy Spirit who lives inside me and was an eye witness to the creation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You can't lump everyone that believes in creation into a single mode. Many Christians like myself have no problem with a big bang, or God working in an evolutionary process. Day is used figuratively for a period of time in many scriptures, and the day/age theory of the creation believes there can be millions to billions of years between the days.

The order for the creation parallels the same order science gives. First comes the heavens (stars, etc.), then an empty earth without form, then land followed by oceans, then plant life followed by the first intelligent life in the sea, then comes birds (which according to science are descendants of dinosaurs), then mammals, then a more specific wild animal, and finally man. It's actually amazing that it gives an order 3,000 plus years before science confirms that same order.

Adam is not created until after the seventh day, and the day/age theory believes the man created on the sixth day is not the same as Adam who is first mentioned after the seventh day. That allows for cave men, and explains where Adam and Eve's children found wives, since there were people before them.

As far as intellegent design, when some Christians latch onto a world that is 6,000 years old, the thought of "not intelligent" comes to my mind. They need to be convinced that science is not the enemy, that science actually corroborates the biblical order. Likewise, non-religionists need to explain how Genesis came up with the same order as science, considering how that might relate to intelligent design.

• 1 decade ago

I really wish people wold have their facts right. Gravity is a law. This is it:

Fg= G (m1m2)

_______

r^2

Einstein simply figured out how gravity works more accurately than newton but his law still applies. Gravity is not a theory, it is a law and one of the four fundamental forces in the universe accepted by the credible world of science. There are theories behind gravity explaining exactly what it is but it's there. Macro evolution is a theory, not gravity.

• 1 decade ago

gravity is just a name for the force that keeps us from floating away call it what you like it could be the wrong name but the force that keeps us grounded is not a theory

gravity was here long before newton was he only helped to define it

• 1 decade ago

Hey "genius" gravity is NOT a theory. Look up Newton's Universal LAW of Gravity.

• 1 decade ago

Basically, I know a Theory is a "Reasonable Explanation for a specific Phenomenon". Darwin himself used this to explain why the turtles are different, and so well adapted to different environments and etc.. However, most Creationsts (I'm one to believe this) is that evolution exists upon a microscopic level, or interspeccial, meaning that monkeys ----> different species of monkeys. The concept of fish to bird however is what we mostly doubt.

Fact of the matter is, even with all the body parts looking alike, millions of mutations wouldn't have created the millions of cratures today. Otherwise, there would've been 3 sole species (species adapted the best to air, land, and water) being the most dominant. Instead, there are millions, where especially today, mutations result in deaths of animals, rather than their survival.

• Rich
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Missionaries have throughout history have been very very annoying and usually immoral people with little regard for the culture of the people they were trying to convert.,

Why dont you stop being a missionary.

WHY do you insist that others beleive what you do.DO you doubt your convictions that much?

Is it more important to be right or HAPPY?

WHY do athiest who have no religion or spirituality COME into the religion and spirituality Group. THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE REASON>you are a rude and annoying and one of a long history of MISSIONARIES>

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck its a DUCK

and YOUR in this group walking and Quacking like a bible beating Door Knocking bible freek Just the Opposite side of the same NUT>

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.