What should be capitalized in a song title?

I’m kind of obsessive about my iTunes organization, and I am freaking out trying to decide what word articles should be capitalized, and what shouldn’t. On, is, it, the, and, or, as… etc. When I load in certain song titles from an album, whatever database iTunes is retrieving the information from isn’t always... show more I’m kind of obsessive about my iTunes organization, and I am freaking out trying to decide what word articles should be capitalized, and what shouldn’t. On, is, it, the, and, or, as… etc. When I load in certain song titles from an album, whatever database iTunes is retrieving the information from isn’t always correct. Sometimes the album has “On”, capitalized. Such as, “Babies On the Sun.” And others don’t, such as… “Asleep on a Train.” I know this is silly, but I’m having trouble escaping this OC tendency. For the most part, ‘the’ and ‘is’ are left without capitalization. Is there any way of knowing what the artist really wanted the track name to look like? Because sometimes even the album font choice is all lowercase, or the opposite, but the tracks aren’t really all lowercase it was just the album design, so it seems impossible to know for sure. If there is no way to really get the track correct, or is there a standard rule for word articles? Thank you.
6 answers 6