plug stuck in outlet

Old, old hand mixer. Still works great. Used it today and now the plug is stuck in the wall outlet. What needs to be done? I am thinking the metal separated -- maybe I can shut off the breaker and use a popsicle stick or a toothpick to flatten it enough to come out? Or, what? I am older female, I don't mind some minor do it yourself projects, but I don't want to mess up the outlet. I don't have any electrical training. The outlet was replaced about 3 years ago.

• BPTDVG
    Favorite Answer

The outlet may be an inexpensive outlet that is prone to failure (the internal parts come apart).

If you are able to, turn the power off, remove the outlet, and disconnect the wires. With the screws loose on the sides of the outlet (the screws that hold the wires in place) you should have some play inside the outlet that will allow your mixer plug to come out.

If this does not work, you can purchase a new plug for your mixer for about $7 at a hardware store.

• Ron G

Turn off breaker. Take small screwdriver and gently pry on each side of plug to pry out of outlet. Newer electrical sockets are sometimes a little stiff to use so just keep prying. A new socket if it comes to that is well within your capabilities. Just note which side white and black wires go to.

Get a spray can of frozen screw dissolver. Spray into where the plug meets the outlet and let it sit for while. Jiggle the plug and keep repeating until the plug comes loose.