Shoes for kids, what do you buy? Skechers/Nike/Target/Payless?

I have so far always bought shoes (sneakers) for my kids from Payless Shos or Target/Walmart, for $12-$20. My kids(under 10 yrs) have no particular character or kind they ask for yet. They wear sneakers to school all days(Northern California, not much rain, no snow). A pair last about 6 months. They only have 1... show more I have so far always bought shoes (sneakers) for my kids from Payless Shos or Target/Walmart, for $12-$20. My kids(under 10 yrs) have no particular character or kind they ask for yet. They wear sneakers to school all days(Northern California, not much rain, no snow). A pair last about 6 months. They only have 1 pair at a time.

This year, I'm thinking of spending a bit more and going for Nike or Skechers I saw for sale for around $35-$40. And buying 2 pairs, maybe one of the kind good for rainy days.

Wondering:
How much do you spend on shoes for school?
What brand and kind do you tend to buy?
What kind of shoes are good for days with light rainfall?