How many times should I read the Bible before I give up on getting any kind of spiritual confirmation that ...

it is what everyone makes it out to be?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

If you read it with that attitude,

as many times as you want,

it will do you no good.

He hides the truth from the wise.

But if you read it, with an open heart,

seek and ye shall find.

The confirmation is the change in your life.

• tag
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I wonder how many people who are saying that you have to read and study the bible have actually read and studied the bible. There are some really messed up stories, especially in the old testament.

The bible, for the most part, is exactly to people what they want it to be. For the zealots, it is the word of god handed down through thousands of years. For skeptics, is it an esoteric collection of stories that are anything but cohesive. And all of these people can point to passages that 'prove' their points.

For me, the more I read the bible, the more I doubted god and religion. I would advise you to read it a few times, ALL the way through - no skipping books. Think about it critically, then make your own decision.

• 1 decade ago

Reading the Bible as a straight narrative is impossible. I have 3 major Commentaries, a Bible Dictionary, 1 Condordance and Greek and Hebrew dictionaries. Try www.biblegateway.com/ to understand who the writer was writing for, the style of the prose, history at that time etc. It's the most complex piece of writing, involves so many authors and even more interpretation.

• 1 decade ago

The more I read it the less I believed it. By reading with an open mind, I discovered enough things which appeared to be contradictions so I began asking questions and got no answers which made any more sense than what I read. In many cases I got no answer other than "Godidit".

I am now other than religious, but spiriual.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I'll give you an answer you might not expect. Quit reading it. That's right. Put it down. Pick up something else that might help you more. Here's a list:

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance."

"Common Sense 101", by Dale Alquist

"The Good News ABout Sex and Marriage" by Christopher West

"The Cube and the Cathedral" by George Weigel

Enjoy. I always feel compelled to answer your questions because you look just like my hubby! ^_^

• 1 decade ago

How will you know what it says unless you have someone explain it to you ?

When we are new to the bible we are like babes in that we only take in the milk of God's word and as we mature we are able to digest the meatier parts and absorb them and understand what it says....but for now you need someone to have a regular bible study. Jehovah's Witnesses will come free of charge and help you willingly to understand your bible.

It will open your eyes...You may wonder why we come and go out of our way for strangers. Because everyone is our brother and we are commissioned by Christ to share the good news with everyone on earth before the end comes.

• 1 decade ago

You can read it all you want but until you really desire to know it as truth, and ask the Holy Spirit to reveal it's truth it will be nothing to you. Next time you read it pray that God reveals Himself, and I can guarantee that He will. The bible is the word of God, however, if you continue to believe that it is not, God will not reveal the truth.

• 1 decade ago

Reading the Bible alone will not do. You need to follow what it teaches. And commit to The Lord Jesus Christ with all your heart and soul!! Good Luck and God Bless!

Source(s): <>< Life
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRAC ODDLY ENOUGH.AS AT THIS TIME MOSTLY FABLES AND FALSE DOCTRINES ARE BEING TAUGHT BY ALL THOSE FALSE DENOMINATIONS AND ORGANIZATIONS THAT EXIST.HOW IS IT ONE BIBLE CAN BE TAUGHT IN SO MANY DIFFERANT WAYS.YET LET IT BE KNOWN THE BIBLE IS A CODE BOOK CONTAINING THE TRUTHS BEHIND GODS UNIVERSE

• 1 decade ago

" Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved"

"How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in one whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them?"

" Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ."

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.