Anyone here like Quincy Jones' Back on the Block CD?

How do you feel about the rap done on this CD compares to what the artists are doing now? Better, worse, the same? Would you like to hear more rap like this cd?

Thanks for posting those lyrics! I found them to be very powerful lyrics. Do others feel that they stand up today? Or is this considered out of style?

• Favorite Answer

Maaaaan ! You took it back! That album had everybody from Take 6 and Tevin Campbell, to Michael Jackson and Al B. Sure!, to James Ingram and El DeBarge. Even a lot of greats who have since passed on, like Barry White, Ray Charles, Sarah Vaughn, and Ella Fitzgerald (may they rest in peace). Who else could get Ice-T, Big Daddy Kane, Melle Mel, and Kool Moe Dee on the same track? Quincy Jones showed how a compilation should be done. I had to perform in a dance number to the title cut. My favorite verse was Kool Moe Dee's:

An everlasting omnipresence

Is my present

State of being

Seeing the unpleasant

Sight of righteous souls

Live like peasants

The mind stunts growth

In adolescence

My insight

Enables me to enlight

The weakest of minds

As I put em in flight

As I transcend

Ascend or descend

Recreate

Reincarnate and rescind

The powerful spirits

Of our ancestors

For those that don't know How God blessed us

Because man messed up

The media dressed up

Lies perpetrated as truth

And it left us

Confused

But I've seen it all before

From Babylon

To the Third World War

I'm more than a man

I'm more like an entity

Back on the block

And this time my identity

Is the Dude

EDIT: It is hard to call. I don't wanna stereotype all young people and say none of them have an appreciation for these types of lyrics. It does seem an overwhelming amount of today's music supports promiscuity, conspicuous consumption, rampant drug use, and the like. However, I know that has just as much to do with what record companies promote, as with what listeners want to hear. I was 9 or 10-years-old listening to this album, but that was moreso out of a personal taste for diverse styles of music. My parents raised me to listen to all kinds of stuff. At the time, though, I had a lot more friends who were into MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice, and Bell Biv DeVoe.

Source(s): Thank you so much for reminding me of this album. You really uplifted my spirits. This was an oldie, but goodie. I'ma hafta steal the LP from my dad, now. EDIT: hynroc, "Sho' ya right..."

electrik! mmmm, tell me a secret! no, no, not just any secret!.....

Quincy Jones is the best MUSIC producer of any genre, hands down!! i also liked 'i'll be good to you' with ray charles and chaka khan. great r&b classic!

• he's still makin' albums? well, good for him!