Abnormality asked in TravelAsia PacificKorea · 1 decade ago

How can you tell apart a Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese person,etc...apart from each other?

WITHOUT asking them bluntly?

=)

And just for fun,...what type of asian do you think my friend is? haha:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa116/SquigglyL...

thanks!

P.S Sorry for the way I worded my question. lol

I wasn't thinking straight. xD

hahaha... since everyone wants to know what type of asian my friend is, I'll tell you.

=)

My friend is......................CHINESE.

xD

Favorite Answer

Hello, I'm a native Korean and this is a very interesting question!

Koreans, Japanese and Chinese may look the same to non-Asian people; however, we Asians can distinguish ourselves in most cases.

If there were 10 Koreans, 10 Japanese and 10 Chinese people in the same room randomly, I can match their nationalities pretty well even without hearing their languages.(Roughly 80%) This is possible by observing their appearance, facial expressions, outfits and makeup.

Let me tell you the brief general impressions on each ethnic groups.

1. Koreans

Most Koreans are descendants of Northern Asians.

Koreans generally have smaller eyes without double eyelid with higher cheekbones and noses.

Koreans are generally taller than Southern Chinese, Japanese and Vietnamese. (Actually, South Koreans are the tallest in Asia!)

A typical Korean-looking male can be found here:

http://www.hankyung.com/photo/200802/2008022755967...

2. Japanese

Japanese generally have larger eyes and many of them have snaggle-teeth. Japanese women tend to put on thick makeup so that they look palely white.

Their behavior is different as well. They are more reserved and avoid physical contacts.

A typical Japanese-looking female can be found here:

http://www.sportsseoul.com/news2/entertain/broad/2...

3. Chinese

China is a huge country and it is not a single-ethnic(ethnically homogenous) country as they are in Korea and Japan. Northern Chinese and Southern Chinese look quite different and they speak different languages which are not mutally intelligible.

Southern Chinese are definitely shorter than Northern Chinese and they have larger eyes and darker skin colors. Southern Chinese look more like Southeast Asians.

Mainland Chinese people don't dress well and less fashionable than Taiwanese, Koreans or Japanese.

4. Vietnamese

Vietnamese people are noticeably different from Koreans, Japanese and Northern Chinese because they are Southeast Asians. They are generally shorter and darker. They've got larger eyes too.

http://image.mtstarnews.com/indexlink_image.php?no...

PS. It is not easy to tell one's nationality(ethnic origin) by seeing a single side-shot picture but I guess he's either Korean or Chinese.

This is an interesting question. You can tell easily what nationality they are by their last name. Like Lee and Kim for Korean, Li and Lau for Chinese, and Nguyen, Pham for Vietnamese.

It's funny because you'll never really know. I'm full vietnamese but I have a lot of people mistaking me for either Japanese, Korean, or Chinese.

Your friend looks Chinese from my opinion. I can't tell because the pic is blurry.

Korean Eyes

This is an interesting question. I'm not going to comment on facial features because those tend to throw people off. I'm a Chinese descent, but I don't have a flat/slanted face, tanned skin, or small or puffy eyes. Anyone who is trying to determine anybody's ethnicity through facial features doesn't know what they're talking about. Besides, there are 56 Chinese minorities, so there is no way you can use facial features to classify them.

The easiest way to differentiate them is by the last name, language, behavior, and clothing. If you're trying to tell Asians apart in a place like the US, its pretty hard based on physical appearance.

As far as behavior, I know its common for Asians to "bow" when greeting people, so I guess you can tell by how they take a bow. Based on my observations, Japanese (women in particular) look like they bow to a 90 degree angle with their hands together in front, Koreans look like they bow to a 45, and Chinese just slightly bow their heads. As for Vietnamese...I have no idea (do they bow?).

The method I use to determine their nationality is through the accent, and to determine their ethnicity, I just observe the last name and how they behave around their own family.

As for your friend, I really don't know because I have to see him in person and observe his behavior to know.

Source(s): I'm Asian and have traveled in a lot in central Asia.
  • Nemo

You can tell from their appearance. His hairstyle is long and stylish so to me it is a Japanese haircut. Korean and Chinese men don't usually wear haircuts like that. (But I don't know about Thai, or Vietnamese).

Listen to him talking in his native language. That should give you a few clues). If he says arimasu, he's Japanese, if he says annongy haseyo he's Korean, and if he says Ni hao he's Chinese.

Source(s): experience.

Speaking Japanese & Loving Japanese Culture!

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

WITHOUT asking them bluntly?

=)

thanks!

Source(s): korean chinese japanese vietnamese person other: https://tr.im/Mxug2
  • smolen

How To Tell Asians Apart

I can tell he is definetly not Korean. First hairstyle tells you that his either Chinese or very slight chance of Japanese.

I can't clearly see his face but he looks more Chinese to me. Finally, can you see the thing he is wearing in his wrist? Koreans never wear those type of accessories. I know my filo friends wear them though. Possibly filo? chinese or viet I'd go.

muahhaha. just my thoughts~

EDIT: Hoho, got it right =P you can definitely tell he isn't Korean~

EDIT2: to those who says korean and chinese look same -_-;

i'm northern chinese/korean in singapore. my dad's korean, my mum's korean-chinese. i can differentiate chinese-japanese, korean-japanese, but it's really hard to differentiate chinese and koreans in my opinion. vietnamese look similar too. but you really gotta live in an asian society to tell the difference. sometimes, you can't tell by facial features. you just KNOW.

1) by the way, chinese and koreans have simliar surnames. SAME SPELLING. my surname is lee and i'm korean-chinese but my chinese friends' surnames are also lee.

there's the chinese 'han' and the korean'han' . so it's hard to tell also.

p.s. southeast asians are fashionable too! just because we're a region which is more undeveloped, don't judge!