EVERYONE in r&s spiritually speaking, do you ever get the feeling...

……. of your body not being you?

like temporary, momentary identity crisis

for example, you look in the mirror, do you ever think, this isn’t what I feel I look like, its not what I feel like, who I feel like?

Or maybe look at your hand, and think, is that really me, my hand, I am in this thing, this is me?

I know this is maybe shall we say not as ‘eloquently put’ than my usual ones but its not something that’s easy to explain or express

what do you think about if you do?,

how do you rationalise it, how do you explain it,?

do you think about it more, or just shrug it off?

NAIL HIM

son?

do i LOOK like a guy to you, get yourself some glasses man

and if you have no concept of what im talking about , you would have been better passing my q on by as all you have done is draw attention to your lackof understanding

its amazes me the amount of people who assume to be spiritual and question your existence etc means being on drugs....

• tj
    Best Answer

Yes I know what you mean. I think its age ,the older you get the harder it is to accept that the body changes.I often see my father when I look in the mirror if only briefly, time goes on.

God bless

• Atmo D

Hi Frou, Yes I have experiences like this, but I don't view them as a crisis, more of a reality, because in actuality there is a part of you that can function quite separate from your body and mind.

I have had experiences where I have viewed myself as separate from my body; I have watched my physical body sleeping deeply, with all of the attributes of deep sleep and been totally dissassociated with it; and then, I have watched the chatter of my mind slow down and stop, and still there is something which I will refer to as the 'me' that is capable of witnessing this phenomena.

We view the body as being 'us' only because that is what we are conditioned with. Some cultures teach that the body is nothing more than a shell, or a tool in which to house the self and I have found that this idea is more inline with my own personal experiences.

Just for the record, I don't drink alochol and I don't take drugs in any form, not even caffeine. These things are not necessary when wishing to experience deeper aspects of the psyche and if anything, are more likely to hinder an authentic experience and understanding; I feel you already know this.

Personally I welcome experiences like these, because I don't feel that enough is either known, understood, or shared about the reality of what and who we are, or have the potential to be and only in facing the unknown head-on do we have any opportunity to wake ourselves up to reality - whatever that may be.

I have had those experiences many times. It caused me to delve deep into the study of existentialism. It got too heavy for me, man. Now I just shrug it off.

And no, I wasn't on any kind of drugs. Some people are just deeper... Oh, and I use "man" for everybody, so don't jump me!

Source(s): Edit: It amazes me too.....

Look up "dissociation." I had a friend who experienced the very same feeling--he was quite perturbed by it.

And to respond to some of the other questions, it is normal and you can feel it without being under the influence.

Yes i do get like that, it used to be more often

I used to get scared about it, like i was possessed or something,

I guess now its just that, I am not who I am in the physical than i am in the spiritual, and maybe the other side of me was showing itself, I dont try to rationalize it, or explain it, whatever happens happens

Actully, yes, I['ve had moments when I'd look n the mirror and wonder 'Is that really me', and get kinda weirded out...but after a bit of pondering, I just shrug it off. I mean, how would you really resolve that?

Not really.

Being fascinated with your hands is more of a "I'm really really high right now" kind of thing, and I've always been kind of turned off to narcotics - not really my thing.

I would recommend eating lots of munchies until the feeling goes away.

My Answer: All the time! I feel like I'm 17 but the mirror show 45.

Yes. I get the same way. It happens more as I get older. It seems to happen more when I'm tired. Do something that will give you a huge dose of adrenaline.

• Kharm

The only time I got that feeling was after I dyed my hair. I didn't recognize myself with dark hair for a while.