Unsub29 asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 decade ago

What do you think of Wal-Mart allegedly asking its managers to lobby against Obama? Is this moral?

Is this a conflict of interest? Is this any of Wal-Mart's business? Does this scare you? Shouldn't Wal-Mart leave their managers alone? Politics and business at the workplace should be mutually exclusive, no? Do you want your boss telling you who to vote for, which is what this amounts to, doesn't it? What do you think? I am open to different viewpoints and encourage them. Leave the insults at the door though. That will not be tolerated.

If this true then Wal-Mart should be charged if allowed by the law. This seems unconstitutional to me. I'm not a lawyer.

What authority over employees does the union really have? It is not the same as a manager.

What do you think the result will be? What was the intent of the meeting? Isn't it a bit premature? You have to read between the lines and not just take it at face value. Think about the consequences.

A lot of companies are scared of unions. But here's a thought, keep your employees happy by being fair and reasonable. Target is a great place to work, compared to Wal-Mart.

The last place I worked, I got along great with the owners. I didn't have the us vs. them mentality that some of my coworkers had. I saw it as we were more of a team with a common goal. It worked great. I was happy there.

There isn't a union at Wal-Mart because Wal-Mart has been effective at keeping the union out. If Wal-Mart did right by its employees then it wouldn't even be an issue.

Favorite Answer

I am a Wal-Mart supervisor and I went to the meeting about unions. It was also a meeting about our distribution centers and how things work for us there. We were never NEVER told or swayed one way or another on who to vote for. Union leaders and "salts"(union spys) come into stores such as ours and try to get employees to sign up for a union by just telling them it is just a mailing list for something and when hey sign- tht person is now in a union. Pretty deceptive action on the part of the nions. Wal-Mart just wants there employees to be aware of something like this and be fully informed if someone were to come to the store and approach them with a bogus line. I agree with one thing - Wal-Mart DOES NOT pay the employees - especially dept. supervisors enough money.

Source(s): I work there.
  • Unions use the same tactics. You should read some of their pulps that they send to 'members' monthly. It's like a 'love fest' toward Demo's and a war cry against Repb's.

It's their little way of telling you (scaring you) into voting the the Union way.

I really don't see an issue here, both sides are doing the same thing, so it evens out.

• Shilo

Hi Sahara,

First of all, I just want to say that I am a big Obama fan and supporter - always have been.

However, the title of this story doesn't match the details imo. Here is a copy of the first paragraph:

'NEW YORK (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc said on Friday it has held meetings with U.S. store managers warning them of issues that could arise if Democrats win power and pass a law that would make it easier for workers to unionize, but stressed it was not telling workers how to vote.'

So, to me, they are talking about the consequences of the election outcome if Obama wins. They aren't exactly asking managers to lobby against Obama.

What I think is that Wal-Mart execs are a little scared and they are acting in accordance with that fear. It doesn't bother me at all. I think people will vote for the candidate which they think will have the best impact on their lives - not how Wal-Mart managers might try to educate them regarding this issue which would not be to their benefit anyway.

Yes. I like Wal Mart clothes. I bought a striped shirt for like 3 dollars and i love it.

The union where I work sends out flyers every election season with their recommendation of who to vote for and who they support. I'm sure it's perfectly legal for a business to support or denounce a candidate. We get stuff all the time telling us about negative things that our union finds in a candidate.

Wal-Mart employees don't vote.

Bad and smacks of Zimbabwe's tactics during their elections Are you living in Zimbabwe is the point here, the people in Zimbabwe had the same kind of tactics used on them.

I do think the reason could be down to one thing Obama is for gun control and Wal-Mart make millions every year on bullets don't they. Could that be the reason for this.

Have you ever heard of trade unions? How about the NEA? The vast majority of unions and professional associations support and lobby for candidates all the time. That is part of their function.

My husband was pressured by his employer (he works at a university) to donate money to Hillary Clinton. He was pretty much required to do so. Yes, it happens everywhere, and it is legal.

Should you be scared? I guess so. You should be scared of unions, of the media, of all the lobbyists, and everyone who distorts, extorts, and manipulates your mind for their purposes. The best revenge is to get fully informed and decide for yourself.

They can not, however, force you to vote, it is a secret ballot. However, they do try to influence you.

Everybody should be lobbying against Obama. Good for Wal-Mart. I'll be shopping there more now. Maybe some of the undesireables won't be there so much now.

• HD

wal mart is smart, what scares me is obama.