Who initiates domestic violence more, men or women?

The CDC says the women initiate it more often but end up getting injured when it escalates. Why isn't this publicized more as a key to reducing DV injuries to women?

http://www.ajph.org/cgi/content/short/97/5/941

http://pn.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/42...

If you assume it's men, check the links before answering.

Magical Girl - The question is, who is the victim? Is the person who started the fight the victim if he or she happens to lose?

Favorite Answer

Mishkin's answer shows such ignorance. Men can't handle their testosterone. That's like saying a woman couldn't be president cause she'll be PMSing all the time and start a war every month.

Women DO start it more. Stats support it and everything I've seen throughout my life affirms it as well. Women start it. And while I agree men shouldn't hit women, what makes it ok for a woman to hit a man? Cause she's "had a tough day"?

Women have such entitlement issues.

Edit: Mystchic99 has it right. That's what I saw too, and more, and in most other families I've stayed with and in my non-immediate family. It's absolutely true.

I completely understand where you're coming from. This also includes cheating. Society (women) like to paint men as the bad guys, the cheaters, the liers, the abusers, the ones who manipulate in order to get into their pants, etc. Where in reality, women are JUST as likely to be unfaithful as men are, some say even MORE likely because women don't get caught as often as men do, just like here. It SEEMS like there are fewer male domestic violence victims than female domestic violence victims, because very few men are even open let a lone will report a domestic violence charge against a woman because a lot of men, unfortunately, are taught at such a young age to always be tough, never show emotion, never show physical or emotional weakness, a man should always be strong, never vulnerable, and so they grow up and get into these abusive relationships and never report it because they don't want anyone to find out their girlfriend beat the hell out of them with her heels or a frying pan. No stereotype intended. ALSO, if you look at the media, I advise you to take a look at some of the commercials on TV. A LOT, and I mean A LOT of commercials on TV today show a man being abused/beaten/hurt in some way, shape or form and we think it's completely hilarious. A man getting hit in the balls with a woman's purse = HILARIOUS, a man shoving a woman = MISOGYNIST.

The article answers the question - women do most often. In my experience women frequently use "non serious" violence, such as slapping, pushing, etc.

Where serious injury is concerned it is men that are most often the perpetrators.

I put this down to the taboo of any violence against women; most men won't hit a woman even when hit themselves. The real violent psychos are more often men though.

They both can. Domestic violence doesn't just mean the man is beating the woman, it can go the other way around too. But as a victim of domestic violence in the past, I will say that I did not initiate getting beaten by my father, and my mom did not initiate getting beat by him either.

Interesting question! It's probably important to define what determines domestic violence. Emotional, psychological or physical abuse? Perhaps just one, or a combination of both or even all three?

Is demanding to know who you're with all the time just as bad as slapping you for doing something? Is manipulating someone when they're in a weak emotional state abusive?

From personal experience, it's the woman that initiates it. First psychologically, then physically. My mother abused my father and I, and the ONE time he stood up to her, she went to the police and screamed domestic violence!

Sadly, until men go on record as saying that they're being abused by women, they'll continue to echo the stereotype as being the perpetrator.

Great question though! Really thought provoking.

depending on the definition of 'violence' women claim abuse if their partner yells at them. of course they scream at their kids and partners with regularity. i guess that's ok because they are women? they initiate slaps or fist pounding on the chest, kicks and throwing everything but the kitchen sink. that is all violence according to the definition. the male partner responds similarily but with more force and is charged. But, real DV occurs in lesbian relationships but not publicised. why? because is casts negative light on women

nope i believe it. women probably do start out the domestic violence and men just react. women do this because they know damn well they have no chance thinking a man wont react. But just like women men can only take so much before they hit you back which 9 times outa 10 they end up hurt calling the cops. And then they feel justified in what they do when they should both be locked up!

I would say it is equal on both parts, yeah the woman usually has the marks and the police look at the man as being bigger, but n ow they are starting to arrest both. One way I am different I would hit the sob back. About 25 years ago he slapped me and told me to shut up in front of friends but I stood up and punched him in the face and said don't you ever hit me again you ******** and to this day he never laid a finger on me.

• Jay

According to the study, "71 percent of the instigators in nonreciprocal partner violence were women. This finding surprised Whitaker and his colleagues, they admitted in their study report."

There's no stigma associated with a women hitting a man. So, they feel free-er to do it. "Don't start none, won't be none" is the moral of this story.

I know in my last relationship she would sit there and push and shove and try to pin me in a room until i shoved her out of the way, then she'd start screaming about me beating her