Do American Native Indians have dual citizenship?

Do American Native Indians have dual citizenship? One, as an "Indian Nation" member /citizen of their own individual tribe(s) and second; a citizen of the United States?

If not, why not?

And; what then is the "Indian Citizenship Act" all about?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Our native people have what can be considered a dual citizenship but what it means is not the same as someone born in one country to parents of two different countries.

At one time, our native people were not considered citizens of this country - never mind that they were here first. They were not accorded the same rights as the immigrated euros that took over the country. Also, you must take in consideration that different states have and always have had, different laws.

The Indian Citizenship Act was accorded federally to unify and equalize the citizenship of all native people across the country to eliminate different laws in different states as much as it was done to give the people legal status in this country. It also provided the politicians with more constituents and later, votes - non-citizens can't be represented,let alone vote. That alone was a predominant factor over the others.

Each nation (some people say tribe but there are tribes within the nations) has some sovereign laws that have been accorded to them (mostly by treaties) and they must maintain rolls with each member's name and assigned number. There are some exceptions to this such as patriarchal lineage lists etc. Being listed on the rolls and properly registered with the nation gives that person a "citizenship" with that nation.

The foremost legal citizenship is the same as anyone else born in the United States. Most indian people will claim their nation citizenry first though. I know I do.

In summation, we have "dual citizenships" but not in the legal aspect of the term. We are considered by the government (when they bother to consider us at all) as U.S. citizens first and by racial terms second followed by a tribal affiliation last.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Native American Citizenship

• 3 years ago

If you are talking about American Natives born in Canada as per the 1763 JayTreaty and and a little more clarification from ICA in 1924 and a whole bunch court battles after that. The short answer NO. You can not get a passport and not suppose to vote, but you are afforded every right and privilege of an American. The Mexican Kickapoo are also afforded this right. Aaron is also correct for Native Americans in the United States. Some more tid bit of info, the US court clarified Native American because when that term is used it encompasses North and South America. So from the original question has to more specific.

• 6 years ago

If youre talking about dual citizenship between Canada and the U.S , then yes. Natives are. Im Native from the praires, we can freely live in the states or Canada without going through imigration etc. We basically need our Status Cards. From birth, all Nativr Americans are considered Dual Citizens

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I can probably answer this for you cause i am Native American Indian from Oklahoma and for one all Native American Indians are Citizens of the United States of course we were here first and then we have tribal citizenship which tells you what tribe you belong to and in order to receive benefits from the government you have to be a member of your tribe and be recognized but now days you have interacial marriages and so you have to prove that you are a certain blood quantum to qaulify for citizenship . I'm hoping i could help answer this question a little.

• 1 decade ago

To add:

Prior to the Indian Citizenship Act, American Indians were ONLY citizens of their tribal nation and NOT Americans. With the passage of this act in 1924 "American Indians" became Americans and were therefore eligible to be taxed and drafted along with all other Americans.

Source(s): Enrolled tribal member
  • 1 decade ago

Yes we do hold dual citizenship as Melanie's post notes. The ICA was enacted to make all Native's U.S. citizens. Prior to this Native's who did not already have citizenship by treaty or other legislation, were now U.S. citizens.

• 1 decade ago

what the heck? of course they're american citizens...

they are also citizens of their reservations if they live in one and got naturalized there

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I wish I lived on my own tribe.

• Mary
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

no not at all

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.