• Pets >
  • Dogs
  • Pets >
  • Dogs

Can a dog and fox breed?

• Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
if they are from the same animal family canine and are both canines and related can they still bree and have offsprings or puppies,, this had worked with the cats when a cat and a an ...show more
Best Answer
  • NEKAI answered 7 years ago
As others have said, there was a myth of a dog/fox mix, but it was never proven.

A dog and a fox cannot product offspring. It *may* be possible, but highly, highly unlikely. The reason being is that dogs (and wolves, coyotes, jackals and coyotes - any Canis species) have 78 chromosomes and fox have 38. Without the same number of chromosomes, they likely cannot successfully produce offspring.

The Asian Leopard and the domestic cat were able to produce offspring because they shared the same (38) number of chromosomes. But the offspring may be infertile.
  • 4
    0
  • Comment

Other Answers (16)

• Relevance
  • Rating
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • Diane answered 6 months ago
    They definitely can breed. It may be as rare as lizard sweat (as my grandmother used to say...) but it definitely happens. I had a basenji-fox mix as a pet. She was the sweetest, gentlest dog I've ever owned. The reason I happen to know she was a mix was because I got her from the SPCA. She'd been picked up as a stray, and I adopted her. She hadn't been spayed, and so the SPCA in my area requires that the animal be spayed within a certain period of time, and papers be shown as proof, or a fine is assessed. I took her to the vet to be spayed, and he noticed some oddities....her eyes weren't quite dog-like. Her tail was DEFINITELY fox-like...so he sent out some genetic material for testing. The results came back basenji-fox, and that she was sterile. The paperwork they sent me served as proof for my city that there was no need to spay her. I owned her for 10 years, until her death, and she never went into heat. The vet and I always assumed it was similar to horses and donkeys, which, while they CAN reproduce together the offspring, a mule, is always sterile.
    • 2
      0
    • 1 comment
  • Jorjor answered 7 years ago
    No. Yes we can all agree that foxes and dogs are in the family called canidae. But there is an even more specific classification called Canis. Dogs can only breed with canidea members in the canis Sub-Family. This includes dingos,wolves,and of course their fellow domestic dogs.

Just like the answerer above me, thats why hounds almost always attemt to kill any foxes they see. Because they aren't close enough to recognize them as fellow dogs.
    • 2
      0
    • Comment
  • PERFECT POMS answered 7 years ago
    Nope.
    They cannot.
    True, they are both in the Canine Family.
    But, they are too diffrent to actually reproduce.
    Just like a Wild Cat like the Lion couldn't mate with a Domestic cat.
    But, just as a wolf can mate with a domestic dog.
    Servals can also mate with domestic cats creating the Savannah cat.
    But, some are too diffrent.
    Yes, some wild cats can breed with Domestic Cats.
    And some types of wild dogs can breed with domestic dogs.
    But, some are just too diffrent.

There are exceptions.
    But, not for everything.
    • 5
      0
    • Comment
  • Evie answered 8 months ago
    um have any of you thought about things like the fox and the hound? like cause when the hound met the fox they were both still puppie/Cubs. i mean if a kitten and a puppy can grow up together without killing eachother then why should it be any different with a dog and fox?
    • 0
      0
    • Comment
  • john answered 6 months ago
    if they could, would that be a fog or a dox?
    • 0
      0
    • Comment
  • rescue member answered 7 years ago
    No, way different species.
    Cats are cats - and I had a cat that was part bobcat so I know that is possible, but dogs and foxes are not the same species at all.

• 4
      0
    • Comment
  • Righteous James answered 7 years ago
    They are not in the same genus so no. Although dogs can interbreed with jackals, coyotes, wolves, and dingoes. There has never been a confirmed statement of a fox/dog hybrid.....just rumors.
    • 6
      0
    • Comment
  • 9 answers hidden
  • Mandy J answered 7 years ago
    no sorry but a dog would rather kill a fox than mate with it if it's ever been done it was most likeley done in a sick laboratry sorry
    • 2
      2
    • Comment
  • Little Birdie. answered 7 years ago
    Nope.
    • 3
      0
    • Comment
  • Can a dog and fox breed?
    if they are from the same animal family canine and are both canines and related can they still bree and have offsprings or puppies,, this had worked with the cats when a cat and a an asian leopard from the feline had breed creating the breed bengal cat.... iwas just wondering if a fox and a dog can breed
    Sign In 

to add your answer

• darrell answered 2 months ago
    i was wonder if u can breed dogs with foxes together?
    • 0
      0
    • 1 comment
  • glamourjunkie answered 7 years ago
    Yes, they can. There have been a few unconfirmed reports [terrier x fox hybrid], but from a genetic view it's not impossible. Just as wolves & dogs, dogs & dingos, or dogs & jackals can breed. Just because two animals are in the same family doesn't mean they necessarily can breed, or will breed, but in this case its believed they can.
    • 1
      8
    • Comment
  • Soaring Raptor answered 7 years ago
    nope
    • 5
      0
    • Comment
  • Amy S answered 7 years ago
    No
    • 4
      0
    • Comment
  • Hoot answered 7 years ago
    Of course they can breed!

Mainly in England, however, where the puppy is known as a "Fog".
    • 0
      10
    • Comment
  • Yes they can but it will rarely happen.
    • 1
      7
    • Comment
  • Rosalie answered 7 years ago
    no.
    • 7
      0
    • Comment

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock